MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
120,000miles 03 SMT
Car ran fine this morning with cruise control for 25-30mins on the Highway, got these codes as I pulled into the parking lot at work. I did autocross yesterday and did ok. I tow a small trailer with chairs and a ez up tent so idk if that has something to do with the transmission or not messing with the friction point on the car. It weighs about an extra 250lbs towing, idk what the actuaally weight is but it isn't much and went through allot of hills going in low gears and not straining the motor to get up the hills at all. Did not use crusie control in the hills at all. I only use it for autocross days or trips to the beach, never daily.

These are the codes I was able to pull with my Android Torque Scanner app and OBD2 Bluetooth Dongle elm327

PP0571 - Generic Type Powertrain - Vehicle Speed, Idle Control, and Auxiliary Inputs -ISO/SAE Controlled

Description Brake Switch "A" Circuit

P0571 - GM Type Powertrain - Vehicle Speed, Idle Control, and Auxiliary Inputs -ISO/SAE Controlled

Description Cruise/Brake Switch Circuit Conditions

Cause Key on or engine running, then the PCM detected that the TCC and Stop/Lamp/Cruise Brake Switch inputs disagreed for 10 consecutive minutes, or the TCC and Cruise Brake Switches were not toggled open and closed during 6 brake applications on a trip

P0724 - Generic Type Powertrain - Transmission - ISO/SAE Controlled

Description Brake Switch "B" Circuit High

P0724 - GM Type Powertrain - Transmission - ISO/SAE Controlled

Description TCC Brake Switch Circuit High Input Conditions

Cause No VSS codes set, VSS over 20 mph for over 6 seconds, then vehicle accelerated in 4-6 seconds to 20 mph and then to less than 5 mph, then the PCM detected these conditions occurred 7 times with Brake switch off continuously without the PCM receiving a TCC voltage input for 2 seconds or longer.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
571 and 724?..

I do not have them on the list..

And Stumbling in the Dark this morning, I can not find them in the book.. ( 03 )

Cap

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Found the 571.. It's a ECU Code about no brake lite switch input ( as you said )..

Check to see if the brake lites work on the car.. that same switch has an input to the ECU..

It does not give a good Explanation how a 571 gets tossed.. just the circuit description, and to check the inputs..

Not sure about the 724.. the ECU and TCU troublecodes that I have found do not have the 724 listed as a Toyota Code for an 03 Spyder..

Cap

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?31504-OBD-Codes-the-complete-list&highlight=P0571

I found the codes here but no explanation as to what they are exactly, I cleared the codes and will see if the come back on my journey home.

Ill check the brake lights in few and see if they light up,

I do have a flat four plug trailer setup for brake lights/ turn signals/ emergency flashers wired into the brake lights by U-Haul but that was done 3 years ago so idk why I would have problems now. This is the first time this has happened. I don't use much braking because I down shift allot to keep momentum while traveling on the roadways/ highways.

Thanks Cap!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Brake Lights,

Darwin award though,

I swapped out my 15amp brakelight blade without looking at the code chart because my 15amp foglight fuse blew and wanted to see if the other 15 would blow to. I threw a 10amp in for now until I can make it to the nearest auto store to replace the 15 amp with.

I know,I approched the ask questions first without self diagnosing. Thanks your help Cap and Ill try and think for myslef next time :mellow:

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Well, Actually this is good..

The SMT will not let you start the Engine, without steping on the Brakes.. How did the SMT ECU see the brake lights go on, If the Fuse was Blown?..

It should not have Started..

Strange.. It just shows to go ya, the SMT has a mind of it's own..

Cap

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I You're right!

How did my car start without a Brake Light Fuse?

Very interesting...

Edit: I started my car twice this morning without the fuse, Once at the house and then when I stopped for coffee at the gas station.

You think its just a light fuse and not a relay for the car ignition?

Edit2: and the cel didn't come on until after I pulled into the parking lot at work which was less then 5 minutes away from the gas station.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It has to do it twice in 2 different starts to throw a cel, keeps it from throwing cels on every little glitch.

I imagine it sends the start ok function from requesting the light being on, not from the light actually turning on (same way it knew the light was out).

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
The Brake Lite Input to the ECU, is a High Input.. the 12 Volt Power that drives the Lights, is the Input to the ECU that will allow a Start..

I was under the Impression that the SMT would not start if the Brake is not depressed.. How would it know if the brake was depressed, as the fuse was blown that would allow the 12 Volt Input to the ECU, to allow the Starter to turn?..

Cap

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Handbrake ?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No its just a conversation but if it helps

"or the TCC and Cruise Brake Switches were not toggled open and closed during 6 brake applications on a trip."

I used the Brakes "CS" for Complete Stop and "RS" for Rolling Stop
1. at the exit gate of my neighborhood CS
2. at the light before the highway RS
3. Exit ramp to electronic toll booth RS
4. Clover Leaf because I caught up to a van
5. Light at exit Ramp after hwy RS
6. Light before Gas Station CS
All of this within 20-25mins and 17 miles (All highway driving everyday)

Getting Coffee at 7-11

1. Light after gas station CS
2. Right into access road to work RS
3. Parking lot, CEL comes on

Rest of journey 5-7mins and 3 miles on public roads.

Try and have some description leading up to cel :unsure:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts