MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Call off the wedding and use the money to fix up the car.

J/K, sort of . . . :unsure:

Why would somebody have to work on it? You should be able to get $6-$7K for it really easy unless it's a beater.

Its a beater for sure, always has been.

The fiance is the BIG change here, so your probably on to something :lol: Where as before I wouldn't mind putting a new top on the car and buying this or that, SHE minds lol. She'll go off on a tangent about how I'm wasting money on toys when we have a wedding then a home then who knows what else to pay for. Its annoying, but shes absolutely right. I'm only able to pay off this car in almost half the time because of her, I'm making a lot of wise financial decisisons these days. She wants to be able to pay cash for our house in a few years, and I think its absolutely possible the way she runs things.

·
Registered
23,142 Posts

The fiance is the BIG change here, so your probably on to something :lol: Where as before I wouldn't mind putting a new top on the car and buying this or that, SHE minds lol. She'll go off on a tangent about how I'm wasting money on toys when we have a wedding then a home then who knows what else to pay for. Its annoying, but shes absolutely right. I'm only able to pay off this car in almost half the time because of her, I'm making a lot of wise financial decisisons these days. She wants to be able to pay cash for our house in a few years, and I think its absolutely possible the way she runs things.
You are whipped my friend. Do you honestly believe if you sold the car it ends there. I have been in a similar situation and the way I see it is that you are being convinced that it is the right thing to do until you get frustrated with working all of your life and having nothing to show for it but paying bills and cutting your lawn. You do not have much time on this earth so enjoy it wisely and spend your days being happy.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts

Well, in that case you may have to take a loss, although usually a little money into something to fix it up returns more when you do sell. Good luck with it.

Don't forget that even though you have a family started and are getting married that what you want or look forward to is still important.

You can get married for $75 if you've got other priorities. I've never seen a dollar spent on a wedding translate into a happier marriage.

Don't forget YOUR fun money. It's an important part of a happy life.

Best wishes to you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Truth, but it isn't her thats telling me to get rid of the car. To the contrary, she likes my car.. I let her drive it before we started dating, her aunt told me she said she liked this guy with a cool car when she first heard of me :lol: Its me who doesn't like it and would enjoy using the money from its departure for other things, shes just the one saying if I do that do NOT buy another car lol.

The current plan Blazer is to put 70% into saving and have the rest to mess around with, but I reserve the right to put good deals on my credit card when I see them and just not tell her about it lol... I want to send payment tonight on a used set of custom 8.5:1 CP pistons for the motor I've had half torn apart in my garage for the last 3 months :D

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
My mind is swimming with WTFs. The car is as easy as it gets to work on and in my 5 years of ownership it has been incredibly reliable and when something breaks it wasn't expensive to fix.

How could you buy a convertable when you don't like convertables?

You can't sell it for 6k? Is the ad written in invisible ink somewhere?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
My mind is swimming with WTFs. The car is as easy as it gets to work on and in my 5 years of ownership it has been incredibly reliable and when something breaks it wasn't expensive to fix.

How could you buy a convertable when you don't like convertables?

You can't sell it for 6k? Is the ad written in invisible ink somewhere?
You tell me, check the private sales forum. It just isn't in good shape and if you can't tell fixing it up isn't high on my list of priorities.

I bought this car as a convertible because I wanted this car and its the only way you can buy it, if your going to get an MR2 why not get the lighest and best handling one of all of them... Hard tops weren't out of production then either.

My car has had a check engine light since I bought it. I paid handsomely for Toyota to diagnose it, I did everything they told me to to fix it, and its still there. My top sags like.. Well, use your imagination. I lose a little more clear coat each week. I get more comments about how cloudy my headlights are than I ever have compliments on the car, and I've plasticX'd and buffed it several times over the years. The longer I have it the more weird problems it gets like my clock going off and on and developing rattles for no particular reason. The pull tab rattles, the floor mat does turn 180 degrees each drive, the front bumper sags, the hood latch broke (fixed that), I don't even know what all else. Changing the muffler was the most work I've ever done to it and it was less than an easy task to perform, and I've pulled my fair shair of motors before.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I grow to resent it more and more cause I feel like I'm chained to it, I can't seem to give the thing away.
I can help you with that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well, not GIVE away :lol:

I'm guessing my best course of action is to just stay the course, keep on daily driving. Maybe in July or August I can afford to make some improvements to it if nothing else comes up. I can try again after that. I'm not getting married until fall 2010 so that isn't a huge factor, it would just be nice to have that out of the way and paid for so it will be forgiveable for me to turn the wrench on my ugly blue car for a while.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Jesus, you are the most pussy-whipped, hen-pecked, depressing person ever to post here. Go to to marital therapy before you get married, because you and your future wife are destined to end up in divorce court.

And while you are at it, don't come on here and gripe about the car, and the fact you've only had the top down a few times in four years. That's part of your problem, you don't get out and drive with the top down.

I think you are a hopeless case. Hook up with one of the forums that deal with depressed, hen-pecked, men. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Come on x, don't bite your lip...say what's on your mind...:huh:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
. . . The current plan Blazer is to put 70% into saving and have the rest to mess around with, but I reserve the right to put good deals on my credit card when I see them and just not tell her about it . . .
It's good to talk about those things ahead of time. I talked over my "hobby" money and resources with my current wife before we got married, I had a lot of money tied up in guns, cameras and photo equipment, and guitars, amplifiers, etc.

"Hobby money STAYS hobby money" is the ticket. If I sell guns, cameras and guitars to buy a Rotrex setup, that's kosher, and if I add money to my hobby stash it stays hobby money.

I figure you should be able to have a minimum of 10% of your net income as well as 10% of your time to yourself, for your own purposes, married or not.

Yes, that means I can blow around $6-$8K a year on crap and take off 36 days for whatever.

I work hard for my money, I deserve to spend some time enjoying it.

And NEVER hide ANYTHING from your wife. Respect her and your family obligations; don't scrimp on money for the baby or home, but if you buy a new gadget carry it in through the front door and say, "look what I got", and if you can't do that you're going through the wrong door, IMO of course.

·
Registered
725 Posts
x biker wow, lol i sold my 2000 spyder last yr bought a chrysler 300, put about $3k into it, and missed my spyder the day it left, this is by far by far one of the best sports cars for the money ever, so thats why i got another :)

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
She wants to be able to pay cash for our house in a few years
Wait, wait. Back up a second. She's wanting to buy the house cash? Bad move. It's emotional but not rational. Why pay off a house in 2009 dollars. These are much more expensive than, say, 2019 dollars. My mortgage payment now is about what an apartment would rent for. But I only have the DP and equity in the home.

As you can see, a $400,000 house in 2006 might now be worth about $300,000. So had you bought that home with even-more-precious 2006 dollars, why, you'd be out a hundred large. Capital evaporated.

But if you'd had just $70K DP down and two years of mortgage payments, you'd be out nothing. Immediate equity in the property only pays off in a heated market and there's no telling when we'll have one again. Hope this scheme wasn't inspired by that Dave Ramsey fool.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Wait, wait. Back up a second. She's wanting to buy the house cash? Bad move. It's emotional but not rational. Why pay off a house in 2009 dollars. These are much more expensive than, say, 2019 dollars. My mortgage payment now is about what an apartment would rent for. But I only have the DP and equity in the home.

As you can see, a $400,000 house in 2006 might now be worth about $300,000. So had you bought that home with even-more-precious 2006 dollars, why, you'd be out a hundred large. Capital evaporated.

But if you'd had just $70K DP down and two years of mortgage payments, you'd be out nothing. Immediate equity in the property only pays off in a heated market and there's no telling when we'll have one again. Hope this scheme wasn't inspired by that Dave Ramsey fool.
I prefer 1998 dollars, best year in circulation IMO

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'm not meaning to insult your cars or step on any toes, if you like them then thats great. It just isn't for me, I'm not the type to spend 4000 dollars bracing every square inch of the car and pasting the chicken badge on anything it will stick to. No disrespect meant if thats you, but that isn't me. A lot of you like Dev for example have car so clean you can eat off them and they look absolutely fantastic, mine doesn't lol. I don't have a garage to park it in, I don't even have a driveway to park it in cause its too low to make it up my hill without ripping the bumper off. I was drawn to this car because I at least try to step away from the pack and be an individual with my purchases and not be one of 75,000 Mustang owners in this state or whatever, but the things its best at are not things that I do or at least do very very rarely.

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Why does everyone think my car is clean. The only reason why my car looks clean is because I detail it with a rotory polisher which brings out the shine.
My car is far from clean and I have so many rock chips and blemishes and the only thing that that makes them invisible is the shine that blinds you from seeing it. On top of everything else my engine bay is dirty and my interior is worn.
I could care less if I drive a dirty car as long as I am driving and having fun and that is what it's all about.

STeel I wish you well on what ever life decisions and paths you take but keep in mind the Spyder is just a car for some and for others it is a way of life. It is refreshing to know that I drive something so rare that I often catch people taking out their cell phone camera's to take pictures of my car which is less expensive to own then what they drive.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I think everyone is being a little hard on the guy.

From the sound of it the wife isn't telling him he should sell the car. The wife is merely saying, we got big things coming, please stop spending our extra cash on new toys for the car.

I think she's right.

He shouldn't sell the car just to pay for the wedding. However, if it were the car or the house, I could see the house winning.

Either or it sounds like you bought a beater, that you never got sorted out, that has cost you money and deteriorated more. It sounds like even in 100% condition, you wouldn't be happy iwth this car either.

I'd say, cut your losses, and find something that makes you happy.

Your other car pursuits mentioned, aren't my cup of tea, but then, thats why I bought this, rather than those. Personally, it sounds like the ideal calr you were looking for is a Gen2 and thought the Gen3 would work for you, and it doesn't.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.