MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a few parts I would like to paint to match my car. I am wondering if you guys have any recommendations for where to buy paint. I am planning on purchasing an HVLP gun to spray these parts with. I've already started with sanding, body filler, and primer, but being as this is my first attempt at doing any sort of body work and painting, there's a few spots I missed. I think one more round of filler and sanding and these parts will be ready for color. Also, this car is not a show car. It's a $4k car I bought to practice/learn how to tinker with, and maybe learn some new skills.

Here's a few shots of the progress:

Brake light housings as received:

Duck tail spoiler as received (bought second hand from a local guy, was spray painted black and then sanded. Part was also very dented up from handling and storage):

After first round of body filler/sanding/primer:

Last night I spent a few hours sanding down the last coat of primer/filler on all 3 parts. I feel like the spoiler is in great shape now, and the tail light housings are pretty good. I'll probably go at the tail lights housings with filler one more time as there's still a few little blemishes.

Anyway, here's a couple of questions for everyone:

1. How much primer, paint, and clear coat do you think I will need for these parts? Would a pint of each be enough? (remember I am a beginner with auto body/painting, I'd rather buy about double what I will actually need up front as a safety margin in the event I mess up my first go at HVLP painting and have to sand down and start over).

2. Where is a good place to purchase paint? I've had good success with color matched rattle cans and paint pens from ExpressPaint, but is their HVLP paint quality stuff, or should I stay away from them?

3. Any recommendations on a decent quality BUDGET HVLP gun?

4. Any other tips or gotcha's to pass along to someone new to auto painting?

Thanks,
-Craig

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard that the HF guns are pretty decent too!

Wondering if the $130 gun is better than the $70 or the $30 gun. I don't see much difference in components, other than the more expensive ones looking better (and not purple...)

$30:

$70:

$130:

I'll probably go with the $30 option and see how it does, if I don't like it I can always return/exchange for the more expensive options.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Go on YouTube and search for a review there’s plenty. The purple gun is what I’ll be getting. I’m actually going to get two, one for color and one for clear. Its apparently a copy of an old industry standard gun and I’ve found multiple body shops using it for their workhorse gun because it’s cheap and sprays just as well as any other. If it’s good enough for the pros it’s good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1,819 Posts
i used the $30 hf gun and had great results... i used to use siphon guns but their HVLP gravity gun is awesome... and if i'm jumping between color and clear, i just buy multiple guns so i don't waste time having to clean one out... just get the correct in line filters and make sure you paint in ideal conditions... (if outside, not too windy and not too humid)...

i usually do, 1 coat primer, 3-4 light coats paint, and 2 coats clear... for paint suppliers, try to find one local... it's better you buy everything together and local because they can help you if you have questions... i usually use PPG products since there is a local supplier not too far from me... i buy all the reducer and hardener and flex agent there as well... if you can't find a local paint store, call around to a few body shops, they might mix and sell you the paint...

let me know if you have any questions...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
kamlung
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing