MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the case, however after thoroughly washing the car with Meguiar's and drying it right away, it still looks like the pictures attached. It's more than the paint, it's the windows too. I'm pretty depressed about it. Here I thought the car just needed a bad washing.

Do any of you know what I can do to help with this? I'd appreciate it a lot.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Have you tried a clay bar? If that doesn't work, you may need to polish.

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
Spend at least $200 for a professional detail. Make sure the operator is using a rotary polisher and know what he is doing in terms of paint correction.
Don't attempt to do it yourself as you will burn the paint.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Would it be better to get a new coat of paint than to take it to a detailer? The car is 11 years old, so..
*off to try a clay bar*

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
Ok. Would it be better to get a new coat of paint than to take it to a detailer? The car is 11 years old, so..
*off to try a clay bar*
That is too much for a clay bar. New paint is too expensive. Don't waste time take it to a professional and they will advice you on the severity and what they can do for you. If they can't do it then they will let you know. Those baked in mineral spots need to be aggressively dealt with.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Spend at least $200 for a professional detail. Make sure the operator is using a rotary polisher and know what he is doing in terms of paint correction.
Don't attempt to do it yourself as you will burn the paint.
You don't think he could get that out by hand with a polish? I have never had to deal with water spots like that.

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
You don't think he could get that out by hand with a polish? I have never had to deal with water spots like that.
It's not easy. It requires major paint correction using a rotary polisher and compound.
An experienced operator is required for this kind of work and even then it may not come out.
That's why it needs to be evaluated by a pro.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went and got a Mother's claybar kit at the local auto place.. it doesn't come out with "gliding" the bar over like the directions say, but with a little wax on, wax off action, it does come off. I estimate this will take me a few hours of work since a 1sqft area (the ugliest part) took me about 20 minutes. I'm relieved that it's coming out though. Thanks so much for helping me out, guys.

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
Went and got a Mother's claybar kit at the local auto place.. it doesn't come out with "gliding" the bar over like the directions say, but with a little wax on, wax off action, it does come off. I estimate this will take me a few hours of work since a 1sqft area (the ugliest part) took me about 20 minutes. I'm relieved that it's coming out though. Thanks so much for helping me out, guys.
If it is coming out then that is great. What I would do then is use a solution of vinegar and water and wipe that on the car.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wash your car in the shade using automotive car soap (do not use dishwash soap), clay bar the entire car (including the windows), wax.

If the spots are from acid rain, then take it to a professional for a polish. If that does not work, a real good detailer can wet sand the clearcoat.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
An Acid Wash will take it off..

If it was my Car, I'd use a thin mixture of something like 'CLR' and do some Testing..

But if it's your Car, I'd say take it to be detailed as they deal with this all the time.. I'll screw up my Car, but I do not like telling someone else to screw up theirs..

Does not matter that it's 11 year old paint.. it still can be made to shine..

And next time do not park it next to the Neighbors Sprinklers..

Cap

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lmao I just bought the car. If I had to guess the old owner lived in the Sequoia National Forest and kept it under a tree for 11 years. I'll take care of it. :lol:

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
NAw..

If it was under a tree, it'd have sap on it .. Like Mine! .. %^%&%$#9

Got it that way.. SLOWLY I pick the rock hard sap off.. and the new paint job on the front half of the car helped too.. ( Deer Strike )

Cap

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
scotch brite will do the windows alot quicker than the the clay bar. JUST THE WINDOWS THOUGH! 5 minute scotch brite job on the windows works wonders. I'd suggest hitting the side windows and the areas not covered by the wiper blades with rain-x or a similar product to keep it from happening again. I don't suggest rain-xing the area under the blades unless you want to keep applying it there, it sets up an addiction type need for that area because worn rain-x is worse for wet windshield view than no rain-x at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good tip on the windows, thank you! I get so many useful tips on here. =) I do plan on rain x but I doubt this will happen again, since I keep the car covered and wash it regularly. I just made the tree comment because I keep finding leaves jammed in every single crack on the car!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Carefull on the Scotch Brite.. I ruined a front window on a PU Truck, using a Dish Sponge with a Abrasive pad on the other side..

Cleaning off Overspray.. Shuda Left it on..

Cap

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
I would just clay the windows. If that does not work then I would turn to vinegar water solution.

The most important thing is to use the least aggressive method always.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Carefull on the Scotch Brite.. I ruined a front window on a PU Truck, using a Dish Sponge with a Abrasive pad on the other side..

Cleaning off Overspray.. Shuda Left it on..

Cap
Pfft, okay to specify, use the scotch brite for cleaning glass stoves, not 'heavy duty'.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The gardener was doing donuts in his lawnmower after I posted and got junk all over my car. :mad:
I'll wash it off again tomorrow and see how the windows come out. What you said makes sense, Dev. I'll see how the clay works and go from there. You guys rock!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts