MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to paint my brake calipers. Has anyone done this or know how to do it? Also, are there any kits that you would recommend?

I have a blue 2000 MR2 and want to paint them yellow. Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Ross

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Yellow is a little loud, but it's your call.

Google "G2 Caliper Paint." Many colors and the paint is easy and holds up well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yellow is a little loud, but it's your call.

Google "G2 Caliper Paint." Many colors and the paint is easy and holds up well.
Did you do this on your 6R4? What color? I don't want to body-match and yellow is too loud. I'm thinking phantom grey to match my nose badge?

·
Registered
257 Posts
And to OP, match it to your orange sidemarkers

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did it the hard way. I used the jack that came with the car. Jack up the wheel, remove wheel, mask off everything u dont want to paint, rotor included. Take a wire brush to what u want to paint. Spray it off with some degreaser. You can paint break calipers with any high heat pain. I used ford engine red from autozone, it was about 7 bucks. You can clear it if you want, but i havent on any breaks ive done, and they have held up well.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Best way: remove calipers from car. Plug the brake line hole with a silicon plug. Sandblast with a medium abrasive. Heat to 400 degrees for 30 minutes to complete degreasing. Treat with iron phosphate. Powdercoat with high-temp powder, or ceramic coat (and tumble later for high gloss). Rebuild the brake innards, then re-install.

Next Best way: Keep calipers on car. Buy a kit (like G2 or one of the many others), wire brush, treat, and paint.

Next best way: Wire brush them, give 'em a quick treatment with either naval jelly or 'rust converter' or similar, paint them with whatever spray can you can get your hands on.

I've done all three.... the quick and dirty ones with the $4 spraypaint look just as good as the done-right powdercoated ones. It all comes down to surface prep.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Had mine powder coated professionally (had a rear caliper sticking and decided to send all 4 for rebuild and powder coat) I don't like loud and do like stock look so went with silver.

Red or yellow would look nice if the caliper was bigger, don't want to draw attention to the small caliper so silver works. Gives it a clean look.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Nice Ken, but if you really like the stock look you should have done them in rust-color. :)

THANKS Mike... you win the "Make me spit coffee on my monitor award"

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Had mine powder coated professionally (had a rear caliper sticking and decided to send all 4 for rebuild and powder coat) I don't like loud and do like stock look so went with silver.

Red or yellow would look nice if the caliper was bigger, don't want to draw attention to the small caliper so silver works. Gives it a clean look.
It dose look showroom new.Isn't there are quite a few wheel weights on that wheel though?

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
Painting calipers? I took mine off to save weight. I use my feet, sorta like Fred Flintstone.

G2. Done correct, last a long time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts