MR2 SpyderChat banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
241 Posts
Union Connecticut - Incorporated 1734 - This was the last town to be settled east of the Connecticut River, because of it's rough terrain and poor soil. In 1633 John Oldham, an adventurer from Massachusetts, obtained from the Indians here specimens of black lead or graphite. During the Revolutionary War this valuable resource was tapped by Governor. Trumbull for use at cannon foundries. Union, containing 12.500 acres, was sold by the General Assembly on July 1. 1720 to twelve proprietors for £307. The earliest actual settler, James McNall, came here in 1727. The first Connecticut census in 1756 showed the population of Union at five hundred, approximately the same as today. Lumbering was a leading industry during the 19th century. Shoes and axe handles were also made here. The only surviving industries are agriculture, forestry and the manufacture of charcoal. Union is now mainly a residential community.
View attachment 80934
Great history lesson. I guess all the ice and snow is strangely in the south this winter so I'm going to have to wait a bit longer for Spyder cruising.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great history lesson. I guess all the ice and snow is strangely in the south this winter so I'm going to have to wait a bit longer for Spyder cruising.
I travel between Maryland and Massachusetts, where my mother lives. The photo I posted was taken last November and we had snow shortly after while I was up in Mass. January was dry but February got its share of snow. My other two-seater is a 2012 Silverado 1500. Regular Cab. That said, Massachusetts is nice for touring. I'd recommend Mt. Greylock and the Mohawk Trail (Rt 2). I may take a run up Mt. Washington with the Spyder this summer. Hopefully the MR2 can handle the altitude.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hopefully the MR2 can handle the altitude.
The MR2 Spyder does an admirable job at any altitude. I've spent weeks on end above 8000 feet burning 85 octane gas, getting great mileage and experiencing no loss of performance that I could detect.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When you're retired, every day is a Saturday. Good day for some day drinking, but instead I went for a drive. What's cooler than a brewery:

Right around the corner is the Thomas Viaduct. The Thomas Viaduct spans the Patapsco River and Patapsco Valley between Relay, Maryland and Elkridge, Maryland, USA. It was commissioned by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O); built between July 4, 1833, and July 4, 1835; and named for Philip E. Thomas, the company's first president. It remains the world's oldest multiple arched stone railroad bridge.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts