MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am trying to sort my parking brake. I have had the car for not quite a week and am having problems getting the parking brake to work. I searched and found a couple of threads that explained how to adjust the cables in the car. I did this but it didn't help. I understand that there is an auto adjusting mechanism on the calipers. I am not sure what to try next. The pads were just replaced. Any ideas as to what I can check. Do the auto mechanisms go bad? Thanks for the help.

Jordan

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
There is no auto adjusting mechanism just for the parking brake. The parking brake works by squeezing the caliper just like happens when you step on the brake. Normal brake operation is self adjusting because the piston only moves back in enough to allow the caliper to turn freely.

If you problem is that the handle moves all the way with no resistance, then chances are the cables are disconnected from the calipers and are probably frozen. A common problem. I disconnected mine years ago. I just park in first.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have read some posts (which I can't find now) that say the rear brakes must be properly adjusted before the parking brake is adjusted.
I've never heard of adjusting disk brakes. But you did make me think of a couple of possibilities. Assuming that the pads were just replaced (possibility 1 is that they weren't and are thin) the pistons may be binding and therefore the pads are not contacting the disk (possibility 2). Possibility 3 is that the rears are not working due to air or a problem with the master cylinder. My best guess is still that the cables have been disconnected.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi all,

I am trying to sort my parking brake. I have had the car for not quite a week and am having problems getting the parking brake to work. I searched and found a couple of threads that explained how to adjust the cables in the car. I did this but it didn't help. I understand that there is an auto adjusting mechanism on the calipers. I am not sure what to try next. The pads were just replaced. Any ideas as to what I can check. Do the auto mechanisms go bad? Thanks for the help.

Jordan
I had the same problem right when i bought mine 2 years ago. I disconnected the cables from the caliper for a while and just put it in first. Eventually came around to "fixing" it and connected the cables back to the caliper. Now onto the interior, I removed the seats, and the center console, and tightened the cables at the E-brake handle itself. Works just fine now. Maybe i got lucky?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions. The adjustment at the caliper is the next thing I will try. There is tension at the handle so I thing that is ok. I can't really disconnect the brake as there are too many hills where I live.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So got under the car. Didn't really notice the pins at the calipers being out of alignment, honestly I feel a little lost on how to check those. Is it where the pin enters the plate it is attached to? I did notice that the drivers side cable looks pretty bad. Detached both sides to let them relax as suggested. However, when they are detached are the springs on the calipers supposed to snap back? It seems that my brake may have been locked on. I ordered new rotors as the old ones are looking pretty tired. Thoughts?

·
Registered
654 Posts
See the 5th post (the one with a picture) here:
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34821
Yes!

There should be 1 mm gap when fully released. Move the arm in the picture and release it and check if there is 1mm left. Don't know where the adjustment is but it's usually at the front under the brake handle and maybe you can get to it from under the car. Most car have it like this. Some cars have making it complicated with a separate brake or something next to the rear brakes. My neighbors Volvo from -98 have that rather complicated, and in my opinion, unnecessary "twin" system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts