MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Search a few times through the forms, didn't find anything - has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? I have noticed my break needs to be pulled pretty hard if I want to stay still on a hill.

I suppose replacing them is in the near future.

Jesse

·
Registered
176 Posts
You should pull off the center console. 2 screws each side, unscrew the shift knob. The wires for the handbrake light are attached to the console, so you might have to pull one of the attachments off to get the console clear of the shift.
Then you will see the adjustment screws for the brake. Pretty straight forward.
Your calbes have stretched and might be quite old. The little boot at the brake end of the cables rot away, and water gets into the cables, and the bend in the cables holds the water. When cold weather hits, you can then be left with a stuck-on hand brake in the morning. I had to take the other car, and forgot to leave the car in gear, and when the temperature warmed up enough, it came within inches of hitting another car.
Anyway, tightening up the cables will probably solve both your problems.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Check the level of your brake fluid. That is the most likely the reason.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
No it will not. Like Sedrem said, your brake fluid level is low. When you corner hard, fluid will travel to one side of the container, resulting in an even lower level, and the warning light will go on.

The reason why your brake fluid level is low, is probably that your brakepads are worn. Check those, and if they are acceptable, top of the fluid. If not, replace the pads first, and then check your fluid level. If neccesary, top it off.

If you are satisfied that your brakingsystem is in order (pads, rotors, fluid), then adjust the cable.

·
Registered
23,108 Posts
You should pull off the center console. 2 screws each side, unscrew the shift knob. The wires for the handbrake light are attached to the console, so you might have to pull one of the attachments off to get the console clear of the shift.
Then you will see the adjustment screws for the brake. Pretty straight forward.
Your calbes have stretched and might be quite old. The little boot at the brake end of the cables rot away, and water gets into the cables, and the bend in the cables holds the water. When cold weather hits, you can then be left with a stuck-on hand brake in the morning. I had to take the other car, and forgot to leave the car in gear, and when the temperature warmed up enough, it came within inches of hitting another car.
You don't need to pull off the center console to get to the adjustment screws as it can be reached using an extension with a socket. They are not really adjustment screws per se as it will release tension and then once you tighten it back up and crank on the handle it will self adjust both cables equally.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Just to make it even more official, brake fluid/brake pads are low. The great thing about stock wheels is that you can just peak at the pads to see if they're low!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
looks like new pads will be lights out for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HA! I've been pretty good about braking hard, and conserving when I brake. Went from 27,000 to 109,000 without new rotors or pads. Guess it has finally caught up, sounds like I have a small project to complete. :lol:

Jesse

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Jesse, you got your monies worth from those brakes! I wish I could do the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts