MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime it gets cold my parking brake sticks and I have to go under the car and tab where the cable attaches to the caliper to release it. They are brand new calipers. Think it's my cables. If so where can I buy new ones

Thanks

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Let's have this discussion again.

Anyone have a suggestion for a heavier-than-water oil to use to preemptively fill the low spot in the cable?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I just slather everything with KY jelly, seems to stop the sticking but braking distance increases.

·
Registered
76 Posts
LOL, if you have added on to your driveway and park at the end and there is a drop off at the end and you park it in 1st and you are half asleep when starting the car to warm it up and you "accidently" pop the clutch you won't have a good time......Just sayin.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
I am thinking you could use dielectric gel.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
I am thinking you could use dielectric gel.
Maybe. Need something with the right viscosity to actually get in the cable and occupy the low spot, but not get displaced by water trying to do the same. A heavyweight WD-40.
Maybe put a mightyvac on the other end and suck some white lithium grease through the cable....

Or just leave it parked in gear December - March.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Lube might only work if you keep after it. Both of my cables are frozen in the summer most likely from dirt. That's the next step after they freeze in the winter. I haven't had a working parking brake in years. I just park in 1st or reverse, something that I have been doing since I learned to drive a stick some 250 years ago.

·
Registered
473 Posts
my ebrake has not been working for 60kmiles. Tried to fix it so many times but it still freeze, so i gave up. I never use it, just leave it in gear and it has been working, even on slope.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts