1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 MR2 1ZZ, 2002 Corolla 3ZZ, 2008 Avensis Estate 2AD-FTV
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

short question:
MR2 and Celica gearbox (C52, C56, C60/63/64, etc.) have 2 part numbers for 4th gear and 4th gear synchro.
Brown Beige Font Rectangle Pattern

Does anybody know what the difference is, and whether they are interchangeable as a unit, as well as new synchro with old gear and vice versa? (p/n in the picture are for EU 5 speed Spyder, but it is the same date related change for Celica and others)

I am rebuilding a old Celica C63 for my Spyder and I think I have to change the 4th gear snychro, not knowing which year this gearbox was made (was definetely between 1999 and 2001....)

thanks in advance!

br
Dom

·
Registered
MR-2 ZZW30 2001 RHD
78 Posts
The part numbers in your post are for an actual gear, not the hub and/or synchronizer.
According to what I can find, the Celica C63 should use the following part number for the 4th gear synchronizer: 33368-20071.
The only thing I know about these 6 speed boxes w.r.t. synchronizers is the 3rd gear synchronizer and hub changing in 2002.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know that this is a p/n for an actual gear...but not driven gear!
as I said, it does not metter what you pick! it is an example.
it is the same for every C transmission for MR2, Celica etc.

here is the synchro p/n for 2000 Celica 1ZZ.
Rectangle Font Magenta Logo Electric blue

Same p/n for C64, C52 (EU MR2) etc.

I have found out, that 4th gear synchro changed to one with a groove in its backside.
for 2004 MR2 4th gear synchro p/n: 33368-12210 (the same for 2004 Celica...I think this is what you meant?

BR
Dom

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah littel bit. fun fact:
your result is that the p/n is for 3rd gear (n.america) but look at this:
Font Material property Rectangle Pattern Brand

2004 EU spec Celica with 1ZZ (C63).

But I get the same result with 12210 - toyodiy spits out that this is 3rd gear synchro but vehicle specific search says its 4th gear.

think I will ask my lokal dealer, becaus toyodiy does not state whether a part number has been replaced by a newer one.

But if somebody knows wheter my first two p/n for 4th gear are interchangeable or not would be great!

br
Dom

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I don't see why 3rd and 4th synchronizers wouldn't be identical. They are both on the same hub, and have no helicity as far as I know.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You are going to most likely have the "old version" part number in you 99-01 transmission. I wish I had pictures of the differences between all the parts since I upgraded my 2001(ish) gearset to new oem post 2002 or 2003 stuff. I must have had everything out on the bench and this is just another one of those moments I should have documented and didn't. The breakdown of parts from what I can remember...

Toyota C60 (JDM)

<2002/3
3rd and 4th gear synchronizer rings are unique (can't switch em)
maybe only 3rd is carbon lined??? can't really remember but they are unique

3rd and 4th gear synchronizer rings are identical
I think both are carbon lined

some post and pre 2002/3 3rd/4th parts are not interchangeable
to switch generations the following much be changed

3rd-4th gear inserts
3rd-4th gear hub ring
3rd-4th gear hub spring
3rd gear input
4th gear input
3rd synchronizer
4th synchronizer
3rd gear output (not 100% necessary but recommended)
4th gear output (not 100% necessary but recommended)

3rd and 4th gears as shipped from the OEM are 2 parts that have removable dog rings. There is probably some trickery that can happen by switching things around in that regard but I never looked into it.
Gear Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim Font

The oem 2nd gear for all years is carbon lined + dual ring

What do the gear teeth and splines look like? Usually if the synchro is bad, everything else is pretty boogered up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts