MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
Black 2005 MRS 5-speed w/LSD
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This would seem to say that non-Calif. prepared vehicles are accepted, even if they don't pass Calif. emissions standards. This seems too good to be true. Is it?

Out-of-State Vehicles - It's true, there is a difference between California and Federal emissions equipped vehicles. And, for the most part California is much stricter when it comes to requiring vehicle manufacturers to equip their vehicles with smog reducing components. However, a used federal vehicle which has all (or only) its federal required emission components, can pass the California smog inspection process and be legally registered in this state. In other words, California will not restrict consumers from purchasing and bringing into the state a used vehicle which is equipped with federal emissions components only, so long as the vehicle was designed that way by the manufacturer. :eek:

·
Registered
781 Posts
I could be completely wrong, but I thought that Toyota was a little ahead of its time and the Spyder was a 50 state emission vehicle. I believe that the turbo model of the previous generation wasn't sold in CA after 94 because it didn't meed CA Smog, but that is for a different forum. :)

If I am correct, then the above quote would have no relevance to the MR2 Spyder at all (in stock form). Where was that quote from?

·
Premium Member
Black 2005 MRS 5-speed w/LSD
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could be completely wrong, but I thought that Toyota was a little ahead of its time and the Spyder was a 50 state emission vehicle. I believe that the turbo model of the previous generation wasn't sold in CA after 94 because it didn't meed CA Smog, but that is for a different forum. :)

If I am correct, then the above quote would have no relevance to the MR2 Spyder at all (in stock form). Where was that quote from?
The paste was from the California smog site. If I can figure out how to do a hyperlink, I will provide it. However, I believe I got the link to the site right here on Spyderchat, maybe in the Library or modifications, etc. - Jeffrey

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
other than the precat and maincat pcv valve and charcoal canister the spyder does not have much in the way of smog equipment

·
Registered
8,477 Posts
All US spyders are exactly the same regardless of what state they were sold in. All are tested the same in California

1 - 5 of 5 Posts