MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a clean 93 n/a, 5-speed, T-tops with 126xxx on the clock and a bad engine.

I decided not to do one more thing to the spyder till she is paid off, so I picked this up. :)
Its a great platform for a supercharged 3mz swap. It came with a few goodies like coilovers, TRD sway-bars f/r, TRD strut braces f/r, TRD quick shifter, and turbo brakes in the rear. Should be quite the project, but when its all done I'm hoping to make some decent power out of it. Let the rediculous amount of spending continue!! :lol:

·
Registered
960 Posts
I swear I've seen this car at my old apartment complex. Was it originally from the Illinois or Wisconsin area?

·
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, it was originally in the Milwaukee area. I guess a kid owned three of them cause his dad owned a Toyota dealer out there, Then the guy I work with got it from him and he lives in Dousman.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Picked up a clean 93 n/a, 5-speed, T-tops with 126xxx on the clock and a bad engine.
I decided not to do one more thing to the spyder till she is paid off, so I picked this up.
Its a great platform for a supercharged 3mz swap. It came with a few goodies like coilovers, TRD sway-bars f/r, TRD strut braces f/r, TRD quick shifter, and turbo brakes in the rear. Should be quite the project, but when its all done I'm hoping to make some decent power out of it. Let the rediculous amount of spending continue!! :lol:
So, you're trying not to spend money on the spyder until it's paid off... so you bought another car... to mod. How's your economy doing these days? Just sayin'. ^_^

·
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey now, don't judge.. :p you see, this way if the car blows up I won't be paying on something I can't drive... Your probably not buying single word of this are you... :D

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hey now, don't judge.. :p you see, this way if the car blows up I won't be paying on something I can't drive... Your probably not buying single word of this are you... :D
Nope. :lol:

Not judging (that sounds so harsh...) just having fun. Honestly, when I read your post, I did a double take, then had a big laugh. It's your money... have fun.

Cheers

·
Registered
614 Posts
The mk2's are great platforms. You could most anything you want with them. Great cars but their age is starting to show. That's why I got rid of my old turbo for the spyder. Though every now and then I still miss that evil thing.

·
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
she looks great! congrats.... project sounds like alot of fun.
Thanks! It's gonna be a lot of work, but in the end it will all be worth it.

Nope. :lol:

Not judging (that sounds so harsh...) just having fun. Honestly, when I read your post, I did a double take, then had a big laugh. It's your money... have fun.

Cheers
Yeah it was a terrible BS excuse to buy the car, but hey it worked! :p

The mk2's are great platforms. You could most anything you want with them. Great cars but their age is starting to show. That's why I got rid of my old turbo for the spyder. Though every now and then I still miss that evil thing.
I've always loved the SW body style. My plan is a restoration, keeping it red, black leather, no body kits or anything like that. I would like to put a forged 3mz with an M90 in it, E153, limited slip, supporting fuel mods and EMS, blah, blah, blah. The car was never driven in winter and only had about 7,000 mile a year put on it. I'm guessing it will take about 2 years to finish this project, but you can't rush perfection right? If I'm gonna do this I'm gonna do it once, and do it right. Right now I'm researching 3mz journal sizes and rod dimensions to try and find forged rods that will work, as well as pistons. If anyone has info about parts for the 3mz that would be very helpful.

·
Registered
614 Posts
FYI the m90 is a very poorly designed supercharger for the money. There are many better options. Look for a twin scroll or whipple (don't know if I spelled the last one right). They are basically updated versions of a m90 super charger. Think of it as standard turbo vs the new EFR turbos. Oh how I want one of those in my life so bad.

·
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A twin scroll supercharger? Are you talking about a twin screw? i dunno not on the up and up on super chargers, but i do know a thing or two about the twin-screws. I love their design and the instant power but, what you got is what you got. I will definitely check into the twin screws (been my dream to have a built E36 M3 with a twin-screw) but I would like to have this be a some what cost effective build. I know its gonna be a pretty penny no matter what, but a few hundered opposed to 2.5k-3k on just the supercharger is a big difference. I dunno, I wrapped up the 2GR for long-term storage the other day so i dunno. Maybe the 2GR will get some boost and go into the mk2, who knows... its all to be determined. We will just have to wait and see. and yes, yes I have been drinking tonight.... The girlfriend turned 21 yesterday so we went out... Time to go to bed. :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
Long term storage of the 2gr hmmm. I might have to take that off your hands in a few months when things become "normal". Time is one of those things I sadly don't have right now.

Yea I ment twin screw. They are very expensive in contrast to the standard m90 supercharger. Yet the payoff is more then worthwhile.

e36 m3's are nice cars. A good friend of mine had a track built m3 and it was very fast. He got rid of that when he decided to race a formula Mazda car. He was one of those lucky bastards that got one of the last 50 built for his year. BMW does this funny thing sometimes. The last 50 cars of the production run year they pick and choose the best of the best engines. Then go further and give it a little extra tune time.

·
Registered
490 Posts
FYI the m90 is a very poorly designed supercharger for the money. There are many better options. Look for a twin scroll or whipple (don't know if I spelled the last one right). They are basically updated versions of a m90 super charger. Think of it as standard turbo vs the new EFR turbos. Oh how I want one of those in my life so bad.
An M90 is a good supercharger for it's intended application. And twin screws are not 'updated versions' of a Roots blower, even if they look the same externally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts