MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good, nice and smooth. How did you spray it? Light coats or heavy coats?
For the first coat I did a light dusting, maybe 50% coverage. the second coat I made sure I covered everything that I could without getting the over spray gloss look before it dries. Instead of spraying it from 6in away I was about 10in on average away. I didn't want to make the second coat a thick one just one that covered everything. Then I finished it with a third coat. The last coat I did the same way I did the second one. I plan on going out for a little photo shoot tomorrow so i'll post better pics, I took those with my phone. I did take all 4 wheels off to do it. That way I could get the inside of the wheel as well.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Looks good.

The more of this I see the more I want to play with it on my car. And I love that when you get tired of it, you just peel off or spray a different color over the top of it....and it fairly cheap.

How much overspray does this stuff have? Typical rattle can?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rebelscientist:

I do plan on painting them, just not sure what color yet.

OKSpyder:

It's a little heaver than normal paint from what I can tell, so the over spray isn't as bad. The good thing about this stuff is you don't have to worry about over spray, you just pull it off when it drys.

·
Registered
627 Posts
You did a great job painting the wheels, just I think black wheels on a black car is just too much black.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm thinking black and red. The plan so far is to paint the calipers red, and I was thinking about doing a red center stripe with plasti dip. I was going to follow the lines of the hood back to the vents and down the bumper. I'm curious if there is a spyder out there with a paint job similar??

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
that does look nice

I am thinking I might have to try this on my beaters
I think you'll have fun with the plasti-dip experience. If you don't like it, it's seriously as easy as peeling it off and you're right back to square one.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Any idea how it holds up to excessive amounts of dust? I'm not a huge fan of the chrome lip on the rims that came with my car, and have been thinking about giving this a try. My only concern is that I have a gravel driveway that gets extremely dusty during the summer. On some other threads I've read that the plastidip stays somewhat tacky for awhile after you spray it on. I'd be pissed if I spent the time to get a nice coat of it on my wheels, only to have tons of dust essentially glue itself on after driving down my driveway.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any idea how it holds up to excessive amounts of dust? I'm not a huge fan of the chrome lip on the rims that came with my car, and have been thinking about giving this a try. My only concern is that I have a gravel driveway that gets extremely dusty during the summer. On some other threads I've read that the plastidip stays somewhat tacky for awhile after you spray it on. I'd be pissed if I spent the time to get a nice coat of it on my wheels, only to have tons of dust essentially glue itself on after driving down my driveway.
Well I live About 10 ish miles from the atlantic and down here in Savannah GA there is no dirt.... Its all sand and it gets every where. Since I have done the job there was quite a bit of dust that accumulated on the inside of the wheel. So I bent over and wiped it off with my hand with ease. Nothing happened to the paint. I wasn't sure myself if it was going to rub off when I did but it stayed. The flat black look is really starting to grow on me and so far its one of the easiest and cheapest things I've done. Three coats on each wheel only took me about two hours to do all four.... It really is a cheap way to add a new look to your spyder and it has my vote. :cool::cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was trying to wait to lower my car first before doing my wheels, but boredom got the best of me. After I got the first couple wheels done in flat black I was almost tempted to just end the process there since they looked so good. But, I insisted on adding the gold metalizer. It was real tough to get it even compared to the black but by the end I had it down pretty good. It's a tough finish to really capture because even the slightest change in lighting angle gives the wheel a different tone. The picture of the wheel laying in the sun and the close-up picture of the wheel mounted are of the same wheel, and do a good job of showing the difference lighting makes.

Laying out under the noon sun.

Mounted in a low 7PM sun

·
Registered
232 Posts
Is this plastidip??? :huh:

I was trying to wait to lower my car first before doing my wheels, but boredom got the best of me. After I got the first couple wheels done in flat black I was almost tempted to just end the process there since they looked so good. But, I insisted on adding the gold metalizer. It was real tough to get it even compared to the black but by the end I had it down pretty good. It's a tough finish to really capture because even the slightest change in lighting angle gives the wheel a different tone. The picture of the wheel laying in the sun and the close-up picture of the wheel mounted are of the same wheel, and do a good job of showing the difference lighting makes.

Laying out under the noon sun.

Mounted in a low 7PM sun

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.