MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I've done some searching and couldn't find out if anyone has done this.

I'm wanting to paint my hardtop and A-Pillar Black for a two tone effect. One of my coworker was showing me this, not sure if anyone has tried this out?

www.dipyourcar.com

and a thread isn't anything without pics .... so here you go

Before:

After:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8

They also make many different colors and Matte or gloss

·
Registered
782 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
fobx530 just did his a-pillars with it: http://spyderchat.com/forums/showth...om-What-do-you-guys-think&highlight=plastidip

Might want to message him for his impressions on it. Before undertaking that I would want to really be sure of the durability of the Plastidip, otherwise that is one cheap way to ruin already beautiful (and expensive) paint. Nonetheless, best of luck and will be looking forward to the results if you go ahead with the project.

Edit: Ken beat me to the punch!

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I'd go for it. I was heavily researching plasti-dip for a project last week. If you don't like it, you can peel it off. The guy that did his Audi now has it in white plasti-dip. He had the black on there for near 7 months, and the paint was still fine when he peeled it off. Also hang the hardtup up and spray it off the car, and mask everything very well. It's a lot easier to paint a vertical surface with the stuff.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Be careful! that's all i have to say! i have heard horror stories with plasti dip.. One guy that did his whole car in it, when trying to peal it off, he couldn't. Ended up ruining his paint job... Ended up using a paint scraper because the stuff wouldn't just peal off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fobx530 just did his a-pillars with it: http://spyderchat.com/forums/showth...om-What-do-you-guys-think&highlight=plastidip

Might want to message him for his impressions on it. Before undertaking that I would want to really be sure of the durability of the Plastidip, otherwise that is one cheap way to ruin already beautiful (and expensive) paint. Nonetheless, best of luck and will be looking forward to the results if you go ahead with the project.

Edit: Ken beat me to the punch!
Okay will do

I'd go for it. I was heavily researching plasti-dip for a project last week. If you don't like it, you can peel it off. The guy that did his Audi now has it in white plasti-dip. He had the black on there for near 7 months, and the paint was still fine when he peeled it off. Also hang the hardtup up and spray it off the car, and mask everything very well. It's a lot easier to paint a vertical surface with the stuff.
Thanks I plan on hanging it up

Be careful! that's all i have to say! i have heard horror stories with plasti dip.. One guy that did his whole car in it, when trying to peal it off, he couldn't. Ended up ruining his paint job... Ended up using a paint scraper because the stuff wouldn't just peal off.
My coworker just did his grill on his Impreza and his comments were make sure you do multiple coats and thick enough. "Cause when I was doing the emblems on the back I didn't have it thick enough and its harder to peel off."

Its going to be a few week before I get around to it. I want it to warm up before I spray. Its a High of 51 degrees today.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's not hard, the prep jog takes longer but understand that a larger surface (your hard top) takes patience and is easier to ruin since you need an even spray through out....if all else fail, just remove it.

durability is fine, just don't use your fingers to rub it off, always hand wash :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts