MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I say go for it :D I intend to do the same with the kit from dipyourcar.com. They have a number of videos showing the process and it seems pretty straight forward. But they do place a heavy emphasis on the technique used while spraying. The nicest part is that it requires minimal masking.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I love plasti dip. If you hate it, peel it off. You would only be out the cost of the dip. It gives you a chance to play with your car without doing permanent damage.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If it feels good do it. Ok, maybe that doesn't always apply but unlike herpes you aren't stuck with plastidip for life :lol:
If you do it I would definitely like to see some pics, I've been thinking of plastidipping my mirrors black just to shake things up a little so I would be interested in seeing how it looks on the car.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you do it definitely watch the videos on www.dipyourcar.com. Make sure you apply many even coats, don't rush the job. The more coats on there the easier it will be to remove if you're unsatisfied.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hrmm....Really lookin' into this now. I think being that our cars are smaller it will probably just take two gallons?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
How much weight would it add to the car?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I've watched the videos and all and I think the Mr2 will only need about a gallon because on the BMW forum the guy only needed 2 to do his 325i and it will add approximately 10-15 pounds to the vehicle. I've decided I'm gonna go for it after playing around with one of the cans I bought from home depot. This stuff is awesome!

And that S2000 is beautiful, that's actually the picture that inspired me! I was between Matte white and red and I decided to go with red. The project will begin August 4th once I get my sprayer and paint in the mail!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah I've watched the videos and all and I think the Mr2 will only need about a gallon because on the BMW forum the guy only needed 2 to do his 325i and it will add approximately 10-15 pounds to the vehicle. I've decided I'm gonna go for it after playing around with one of the cans I bought from home depot. This stuff is awesome!

And that S2000 is beautiful, that's actually the picture that inspired me! I was between Matte white and red and I decided to go with red. The project will begin August 4th once I get my sprayer and paint in the mail!
Do you think it would be possible to can the whole car?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is "possible" to can the whole car. But if you want a paint job that isn't bubbly and imperfect then the spray gun is a better method. On the STI forum it took a guy 15 cans to paint his black STI white. It looks pretty good until you start looking at the close up shots which make the paint look something like sand paper

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.