MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
cant see any pic? but iv seen companies now offering it as an alternative to wrapping, its so pricey though, a little bit more could get you a proper respray

·
Registered
617 Posts
Are you going to peel off the plasti from the dimple and meshes?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Not bad ... matte white looking. Probably cost him a fraction of the "professional" cost - plasti dip and a spray gun + a few hours. I imagine he can go back and subtract whichever parts he doesn't want painted white.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,822 Posts
I have seen photos of guys doing this to brand new Mustangs and BRZs so why not a Spyder? My only concern would be how dirt shows up on the matte surface and whether it is easy to clean without rubbing off the Plasti Dip.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
cant see any pic? but iv seen companies now offering it as an alternative to wrapping, its so pricey though, a little bit more could get you a proper respray
In the U.S. it's not too expensive, I've seen prices of $500 for regular colors and around $7-900 for custom colors, where as a decent paint job would be $2500 and up.

Will dipyourcar.com ship to South Africa? If so, it would be pretty reasonable.

As for rubbing the dip off, it's pretty hard. I dipped my front lip a while back and it holds up great to rock chips. I washed it with a microfiber mitt just like on regular paint and it held up. About the only place it will peel easily is the edges.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I have seen photos of guys doing this to brand new Mustangs and BRZs so why not a Spyder? My only concern would be how dirt shows up on the matte surface and whether it is easy to clean without rubbing off the Plasti Dip.
will it peal as its cleaned? (scrub)

from the videos/photos of the application, it appears its just as easy to remove as it's applied (just saying)

·
Registered
896 Posts
I did my wheels several months ago and they still look good. In fact, I had a flat tire and repairing it scratched the plastidip off. I repainted it and the others look just as good as the repainted wheel. I scrub them whenever I wash the car too.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
There must be a different kind of plastidip than the one I acquired. I read all the rave reviews of plastidip here on Spyderchat and decided to dip my hardtop black. I was surprised to find that now my top is rubberized; it feels like the handle of a tool. It looks OK, but I imagine this surface absolutely kills your drag coefficient. So, am I missing something?

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
There must be a different kind of plastidip than the one I acquired. I read all the rave reviews of plastidip here on Spyderchat and decided to dip my hardtop black. I was surprised to find that now my top is rubberized; it feels like the handle of a tool. It looks OK, but I imagine this surface absolutely kills your drag coefficient. So, am I missing something?
It's all rubbery. If you buy the gallons from dipyourcar, it comes pre-thinned and you can get it to lay down pretty smooth, but it still has the rubber feel to it.

Did you use the aerosol cans?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
It's all rubbery. If you buy the gallons from dipyourcar, it comes pre-thinned and you can get it to lay down pretty smooth, but it still has the rubber feel to it.

Did you use the aerosol cans?
Yep. I don't have spray equipment. I feel that it's a pretty terrible paint substitute, but I can see it being useful for dipping parts of your car that you don't want to get damaged from motorsports use. It's funny that I never heard about what kind of texture it has in any of the reviews. I plan on peeling it off eventually, when I can get around to it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It might be interesting to test max speed then dip the car and test again to see if its an appreciable value.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
It might be interesting to test max speed then dip the car and test again to see if its an appreciable value.
Mythbusters did a test once and discovered that a car covered with golf ball dimples actually got better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Mythbusters did a test once and discovered that a car covered with golf ball dimples actually got better fuel mileage.
Which shows that a car covered with Plastidip will likely get lower mileage. I might wait until the next high speed track day--either Auto Club Speedway or WSIR-- before removing the plastidip from my hardtop. Maybe not. I would do one run with the plastidip on the top, then another with it removed. I suspect the difference will be imperceptible or along the order of 1 mph. That sort of top speed difference can be attributed to wind heading and speed, or temperature, so, I expect the results will not be educational.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So for some reason I can't edit my original post so here goes.

So of course ever since plastidip hit the car scene I was interested in it, I bought some cans from home depot during the summer and dipped my wheels black. I loved the outcome and simplicity of the product so I did some more research and ran into Fonzie's videos of dipping a whole car from dipyourcar.com so I got really excited to see if I could do the same. I bought the 3 gallon pro car kit the saturday after black friday, it shipped via UPS monday from FL, and I received it that thursday morning. Then the fun began.

Friday I prepped the car by washing, moving it into my garage, and then masking.

Saturday I finished masking and fitting the body kit on

Sunday I started to dip.
This is 2 coats in.

now 4-5 coats

Finished product

Original

·
Registered
804 Posts
VERY nice! Looks great. How did the finish turn out? Smooth, orange peel, or? Are you using a Wagner power sprayer? What model and how did you like it? I think a bit of contrast in the front will help if you remove it from the lower mesh/grill. Maybe from the side vents.... Maybe. I think I'm going to be trying this. I'm wondering how the shiny finisher stuff looks. How do you feel about the matte finish in person? I've only seen it in the vids.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
is the lip kit and car plastidip different shades of white? I can see different shades of white. doesnt match very well. I would also take the plastidip off the side vents and grills. overall though. looks like it came out great

1 - 20 of 28 Posts