MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
23,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When this board was aquired they made a deal with us with the previous owner Don that we would only have one advertising banner at the bottom of the page.
Now with this forum upgrade we are bombarded with too many advertisements. This is unacceptable to the forum experience and will cause members to move elsewhere like FB or some other site.

I understand that this board makes its revenue from advertising but the advertising is getting in the way and is too distracting. The gif pictures flashes and moves about which is irritating when you want to read the content of the posts.
In addition to this the advertising is getting way to creepy with some of the heath related searches that I have been making for a sick family member.

If you feel the same way let the owners know your displeasure in solidarity by using this thread to post your displeasure so they will have a overwhelming consensus that is focused to addressing this major issue.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that ad's are a fact of life now . I just hope we can get them to reign them in a bit . I can tolerate the ads down the right side and tune them out , but the ads in between the post have to go .

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,852 Posts
I am using an ad blocker so I am not seeing them. All I see is a lot of white space to the right. As long as they do not make disabling the ad block mandatory to use the forum (as some other sites have done) then I can deal with it.

I do not know if people will leave here to use Facebook instead because of the ads. Facebook has ads popping up everywhere. If you hate ads then Facebook is going to be even worse for you.

I would love to never see ads when I am trying to enjoy my hobbies. Especially ads that are in no way related to said hobbies!

Unfortunately, when this became a commercial property it became inevitable that they would use it as a vehicle to try to produce revenue eventually. Otherwise, why would they spend money to keep the site alive?

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Adblocker, so don't see them. Think you are pissing against the wind here Dev, AG is only interested in ad revenue.
That slimy b'stard that sold what was not his, has a lot to answer for.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
3 second rule came up, resulting in a double post.

·
Registered
23,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If people are willing to express their tolerance for the ads so be it.
Im sure we could have worked something out if the consensus feels that it is a real problem which I believe it is.

If this thread doesn't receive that censuses I will refer those that complain about the advertisements to this thread and let them know that it is tolerated.

If you think it stops here guess again. They don't stop at what you see now, they will keep adding them where there is space because you are able to tolerate it. They couldn't do it before because of the antiquated web software and our previous agreements with them which everyone seems to have forgotten.

Their bottom line is to make as much as they possibly can at the expense of the usability of the forum.

It is a test and we are failing.

Reactions: NottaMiata

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I use Edge with 2 adblockers on my home/work computers and do not see any ads, but they are very annoying when I log in with my cell phone.

So if there is anyway to limit the advertisements for the many users that primarily use their cell phones for forum access, I am all for it.

Good luck and this will be an uphill battle...

·
Registered
23,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When the chips were down and people were willing to live with certain changes to the forum that was gong to harm us I fought hard and won with the help of the members here. I was outrageous, obnoxious and maybe over the top but I got our voices heard and things were reverted back or at the very least there was some compromise we could live with.

We can do this if there is support for it. If there isn't just be prepared for more ads in our future as that is how it has ended up on other forums.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm on mobile so not seeing all the ads described. I see a small banner at the bottom of the page, but more frequent, and annoying, is the ads that are being placed inline in the threads, which look exactly like a post from us users. I would very much like those to go away.

·
Administrator
582 Posts
I wanted to take a moment to assure you that we are listening to all the feedback

That being said, this site is supported by ads. As you already know, that’s how we keep the lights on around here. As it turns out, servers, bandwidth, security, and maintenance aren’t free. ;)

We have standardized the user experience when it comes to ads for members and guests alike to help bring on new users. We have tried to reduce the number of ads and their intrusive nature with this redesign. We have removed larger units that slowed down the page in the old version and may have interrupted your view of the content.

As a user who has been using the new platform for a while now, I can tell you that the type of ads we are servicing eventually become blind to you. I was set back when I first started seeing them and then got used to seeing them, and now I hardly notice them at all.

Change is always hard and it takes time to get used to it. Originally I started on a Mac computer (a gazillion years ago) and just about lost it when the company I worked for switched to PCs. It took a while before I adjusted, and before long it was easier for me to work from the new system. Of course, now, I am switching back to a MacBook Pro and find myself lost a few times a day because it has been a while. You know what though? We adjust and quickly forget how things used to be.

- Cricket

·
Registered
23,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wanted to take a moment to assure you that we are listening to all the feedback

That being said, this site is supported by ads. As you already know, that’s how we keep the lights on around here. As it turns out, servers, bandwidth, security, and maintenance aren’t free. ;)

We have standardized the user experience when it comes to ads for members and guests alike to help bring on new users. We have tried to reduce the number of ads and their intrusive nature with this redesign. We have removed larger units that slowed down the page in the old version and may have interrupted your view of the content.

As a user who has been using the new platform for a while now, I can tell you that the type of ads we are servicing eventually become blind to you. I was set back when I first started seeing them and then got used to seeing them, and now I hardly notice them at all.

Change is always hard and it takes time to get used to it. Originally I started on a Mac computer (a gazillion years ago) and just about lost it when the company I worked for switched to PCs. It took a while before I adjusted, and before long it was easier for me to work from the new system. Of course, now, I am switching back to a MacBook Pro and find myself lost a few times a day because it has been a while. You know what though? We adjust and quickly forget how things used to be.

- Cricket

Do you suggest we use ad blocker?

Im not against ads and understand its what keeps the lights on. There are just too many and some in places that get in the way.

If you can limit the ads to how it was previously that kept the lights on that would be great.

·
Administrator
582 Posts
Do you suggest we use ad blocker?

Im not against ads and understand its what keeps the lights on. There are just too many and some in places that get in the way.
I am not here to tell you how to manage your internet browsing experience. :)

- Cricket

·
Registered
23,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not here to tell you how to manage your internet browsing experience. :)

- Cricket
I was messing with you. But seriously is there a way to limit the the ones that are in the thread body as those are the worst.
And are you going to increase the number of advertisements as we go along.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that ad's are a fact of life now . I just hope we can get them to reign them in a bit . I can tolerate the ads down the right side and tune them out , but the ads in between the post have to go .
I have been letting the ads accumulate since the first reiteration in hopes that it generated revenue for site owners. Now I sincerely regret it. Although the site is faster, it is much less legible.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
This sucks. When the newest iterations of what was once Spyderchat arrive, I’m reminded again what a low-life scum-bag Don Anderson was for selling what he didn’t own.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Here's a perspective from someone who writes for an online news site. Ads are paying less and less, and expenses are only getting higher. Ads are a necessary part of life and using adblockers is quite literally killing sites. This comes from a person who, admittedly, uses an adblocker.

Yes the ads need to be toned down. Huge and obnoxious ads are a great way to alienate people. But one banner ad will not cut it.

PS: Creepy searches are not AG's fault, that's all Google AdSense and other such services.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am new so I am not aware of any previous agreements but if they were violated, that should definitely be rectified. And if ads become overwhelming, then we can vote with our feet and move to another platform. Better yet, I can create a site with no ads. This is a hobby not a revenue source.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts