MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up a set of Polk Audio components recently. Just thought that I'll post some pictures of the installation and my opinions about them.

Installation: The installation was pretty easy. I didn't have to make any modification to install them, just screwed the speakers to the bracket provided and then bolt them onto the doors. I had to widen the hole for the tweeters which wasn't a big deal. Although, I was only able to secure the speakers with 2 bolts as one of the peg on the bracket did not reach its intended openning. Nonetheless, it was secure enough to not cause any problem. I would estimate that it took me about an hour to install the speaker in both doors.

Re-installation: Since I'm not really handy with making things i.e. speakers bracket, I just used what I had.... the stock speaker brackets. I pretty butched the heck out of them, but the result were definitely not disappointing.

Impression: The speakers are 100% better than stock! I love them so far, very clean highs and good bass from the mids. I have had many components in the pass in different cars i.e. Kenwood, Hi-Fonics, and Focals and these is definitely up there with the Focals I have had.

Impression after re-install: Oh my! The bass really came alive once the speakers were probably sealed! I'm definitely very glad I've took the extra time to re-install the speakers using the stock brackets. Highly recommended.
Stock speakers out of the doors (the Dynamat Extreme was already there)

Drilling for tweeter installation:

Speakers in the door:

Placement of crossover unit on the foam piece on the door panel:

Flushed tweeter:

A major gap is present when installed the speakers without fabricating a proper bracket or butchering up the stock brackets for re-use.

Part 2 – Re-installation:

Stock speaker with wooden ring in place:

Used a heat gun to loosen the adhesive that held the wooden ring in place:

Cutting the speaker out of the mounting bracket (it is pretty much glued in):

Used a wire cutter to cut the plastic that permanently attached the speaker and mounting bracket:

Speaker removed from the mounting bracket:

Used a flexible adhesive to glue the new speakers onto the plastic mounting brackets:

New speaker mounted on the modified stock mounting bracket (waited about 30 mins for glue to dry):

Speaker mounted properly on the door panel (No more gaps!!!):

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So these were 6.5 and they mounted in the stock location no problem?
Yes, the woofers are 6.5" and as you can see, it mounted at the stock location with no problem. I brought it up because I have seen member fabricate custom brackets or butcher up the stock brackets to install their aftermarket speakers. As I have mentioned, I can only bolt it down with 2 bolts. You can see the 2 gold bolts in the picture above, the top and bottom right. The tab for the bottom left was not long enough to reach the original hole on the door, so I just left it, but if I really wanted to I could have easily make a new hole for the screw. I don't have any vibration issue with only securing with 2 bolts, so it's "so far, so good." Could be because I have Dynamat installed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
question...

So just to clarify-after modifying the stock brackets, you had no trouble reinstalling the door panel with the 6.5" woofer component in place? And you were able to use the 3 screws on the stock bracket instead of the 2 screw setup you had in the initial install?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
nice to see this ahead of time. the bracket solution looks good, might save me time from having to do a RE-install, lord knows I like to be one and done. :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
You like?

I just read your installation and it looks really great. I'm thinking about purchasing some Polk Audio db651's for my spyder because a previous owner put in some old sony xplod speakers that arent doing it for me. How would you rate the sound in clarity and the bass in how much it pushes? Can you feel power coming from these speakers with just an aftermarket HU? Looks great and hope to hear back.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
heeeeyyyy! I have the same speakers!!! You did a great job with the install. It looks just like my install lol!!!!!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey everyone, I am so sorry for not replying to anyone's questions on this thread!! I have been out of state since September, still am, and haven't been on Spyderchat much, if at all. Only driven my car twice since September, when I go back home to visit. Anyhow, here are my answers to your questions, and hope it's still helpful to you guys at this point:

So just to clarify-after modifying the stock brackets, you had no trouble reinstalling the door panel with the 6.5" woofer component in place? And you were able to use the 3 screws on the stock bracket instead of the 2 screw setup you had in the initial install?
Yup! The speakers fits just like the stocks, just make sure that the adhesive you use to glue speakers into the brackets is fully dried and strong enough to hold it in place (I haven't had any problems with mine yet). All 3 screws went back in and it sits just like how the stock speakers sat.

nice to see this ahead of time. the bracket solution looks good, might save me time from having to do a RE-install, lord knows I like to be one and done. :lol:
:lol: That's what this forum is all about buddy! Sharing our experiences and cautions others on misteps that we've taken. I'm glad that the write-up will be helpful to you someday.

I just read your installation and it looks really great. I'm thinking about purchasing some Polk Audio db651's for my spyder because a previous owner put in some old sony xplod speakers that arent doing it for me. How would you rate the sound in clarity and the bass in how much it pushes? Can you feel power coming from these speakers with just an aftermarket HU? Looks great and hope to hear back.
I'm not too much of a audio junky; however, I have had experience with Infinity Kappa's and a couple of other cheaper components i.e. Kenwood, Alpine and Hi-Fonics and I have listened to Focal's in my friend's car. So, I'll try my best. I would say that these speakers are comparable to the Kappa's, but push out better bass. On a scale of 10, I would give these speakers an 8/10. I can certainly feel the power difference between the stock and these speakers. Previous with the stock speakers, I can only push the volume to 50 with some signs of distortion. Now, I can push the speakers to 65 with no distortion at all, but what limits from pushing it even higher is my Kenwood Woox not being able to hang with the speakers :lol:

heeeeyyyy! I have the same speakers!!! You did a great job with the install. It looks just like my install lol!!!!!
Thanks!

Great job on your install! Must look good if it looks like mine. :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your directions were spot on. I removed and reused the stock brackets, after the surgery you described. The Polk enclosed brackets only fit in two of the mounting holes. And weren't flush with the door insulation. I did camber the tweeters in a bit but that's easy to do and a personal preference. I also Dynamatted the doors, although I think your job looks better. Now I'll probably have a window regulator problem and Mr. T will rip out the sound deading to get to the inside door components, LOL.

Theses speakers are currently on sale at Best Buy for $149.99 and really perform quite well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just did this last Sunday, it was a breeze if you have a warm garage.
Was anyone able to mount the tweeter using the screw as described in Polk's instructions? I didn't have the correct hardware as the OEM bolt didn't work in this application, and the Polk bolt was too small of gauge.

Great pictures, made my install much more familiar!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

Sorry for this thread revival, but I'd like to thank for this perfect guide.

I've done it easily.

My only change:

I've removed the old tweeters (and kept the metal support) and placed the new ones secured in the exact same place (with the other support that came in the kit, not the one used above).
This way I didn't need to cut the door cover, got the same "tilt angle" and it stayed with the stock look. ^_^

·
Registered
519 Posts
Great guide.

I have done the same install. Only difference is that in the stock speaker "bracket" you create, I filled the gap where the surround was glued with JB Weld and then drilled a pilot hole and screwed the speaker in, instead of gluing it permanently.

Looks good.

·
Registered
131 Posts
quick question

So please excuse my ignorance, as i have nearly no knowledge of car audio.

Do you need an amplifier to connect to the dxi 6500? Or can you just wire it up to the stock speakers and it sounds good?
Will adding an amp only enhance the sound?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,

Sorry for this thread revival, but I'd like to thank for this perfect guide.

I've done it easily.

My only change:

I've removed the old tweeters (and kept the metal support) and placed the new ones secured in the exact same place (with the other support that came in the kit, not the one used above).
This way I didn't need to cut the door cover, got the same "tilt angle" and it stayed with the stock look. ^_^
Great guide.

I have done the same install. Only difference is that in the stock speaker "bracket" you create, I filled the gap where the surround was glued with JB Weld and then drilled a pilot hole and screwed the speaker in, instead of gluing it permanently.

Looks good.
Awesome! Glad my thread is helpful to other members.

So please excuse my ignorance, as i have nearly no knowledge of car audio.

Do you need an amplifier to connect to the dxi 6500? Or can you just wire it up to the stock speakers and it sounds good?
Will adding an amp only enhance the sound?
No, I connected straight to my aftermarket headunit rated at 45 watts per channel. However, I think an amplifier would certain up the quality of the sound quite a bit, as good as it it without an amp.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, I just bought the dxi 6501s from amazon, so they should be here tomorrow. If I get the motivation to put them in (between doing the hvac, putting a motor back in the wrx and house hunting) I'll post up my experience with them

1 - 16 of 16 Posts