MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Those are some radical looking tweeters, but I bet they sound great the way they're positioned. I'm in the market for some components with the socket tweeter pods so I can put then in the stock location and still aim them. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears. Btw, our stock door speaker are 6.5" correct?
Yeah, 6.5"
Many people (self included) butcher the stock speakers and glue the replacements into the stock plastic ring.
If you don't want to modify the door panels at all, many 3/4" tweeters can be made to fit behind the stock tweeter grille. Fitting a 1" tweeter will likely require enlarging the holes in the door panel. Many (like the old Diamond Audio tweets thare are in my door pics above) will swivel/tilt in their mounts.

BTW, I figured out the "sweet spot" for my current tweeter aiming is about 10" to the right of my head. :0
Not much I can do about that with this HU, though.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Not sure I would mod my own car like that just for the tweeters but I like the thought and craftsmanship. Until you upgrade the HU and have to fiddle around to find the sweet spot that is :)

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Finally finished today -- wired in the a/d/s crossover (crossover point is 2800 Hz) and re-aimed the driver's side tweeter. The sweet spot is still a little to the right of my head, but it's much better now.
Real nice. Not the best I've ever heard, but far and away the best I've managed on this budget.

Speaking of budget, the Polk tweeters and crossovers are up on eBay. Maybe my total spend will be less......

21 - 24 of 24 Posts