MR2 SpyderChat banner

POLL: 87, 89, 91?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Originally posted by chrisngrod
I felt like a cheap bastard putting in 89 before the 2zz because it looks like an expensive car :).
I feel like a lucky bastard that Toyota gave us a great sportscar that gets good mileage, and takes 87.

G

·
0 Posts
you forgot 2 poll options:

1 - the rest of us in the english speaking u.s. get 93 octane

2 - "search" - since this answer, and answers about motor oil and filters, has come up dozens of times with the same responses

me? for 8-9 months a year i run 87......during the hottest months of summer i run 89...........

and for the record i only run 89 then because i've had audible detonation in really hot weather (you'd think the knock sensor and ecu would kill this before it becomes audible, but nevertheless it's there)

kev

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Here I thought you were talking about which year MR2 you'd buy from the title. :oops:

I never thought about it before, but I have one of each year corresponding to the octane of gas around here, granted, the '87 is gutted to nothing (but I might just have another 87 shell to swap to) :mrgreen:

Run 87 unless you have some extenuating circumstance that requires differently.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
doesn't higher quality gas give you slightly better milage?

I read some where that 89 would be the best choice or something like that for milage...I might be wrong though....

G

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by GOYANGYI
doesn't higher quality gas give you slightly better milage?
no.........higher octane is not higher quality......

gasoline octane ratings refer only to the fuel's resistence to detonation.......nothing more....

on an engine designed to run on 87 like our's, 91 or 93 octane may actually be detrimental due to the fact that higher octane gas burns more slowly and less completely therefore leaving carbon deposits........

the only times you need/want 91/93 octane would be if you have.....

1) high compression motor

forced induction

iii) rediculously advanced timing

kev

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Originally posted by bishop
Here we go again... :roll:
:deadhorse:
93 octane Shell V-Power here. I just got 36mpg on the last tank full & I was moving pretty well, too!
I started using the Shell gas last year; the mileage makes up for the difference in cost. I have not run 87 lately, so I have no comparison this year. The engine is running very well (stock, TM dual).

·
Registered
225 Posts
c16...

ok, ok... i've been using 89. i'll probably go to 87 though since these cars can handle it. highest we get around here is 91
which i need for the maxima). back in bloomington, indiana the gas station a few blocks from me had 94 :mrgreen: that'd be so nice to have for the max. oh well.

·
Registered
23,025 Posts
I can’t wait to see all of you guys justify using 87 when gas prices hit $3.00 a gallon.

This is a Corolla engine Why don't we advise Corolla folks to start using 89 and 93.

G

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by bmerton
yeah but dont the more expensive gasses wit higher octaine have cleaning additives and stuff?

Handle it, kev.

that's a tidy hand-off!

in accordance with fedral law, all gasoline sold in the u.s. contains detergents and cleaning additives, not just the higher octanes......

kev

1 - 20 of 46 Posts