MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been bugging me not just from how it looks, but even more-so how it affects the function of raising the soft top. When it's the right time, I'll raise it and hear a "THUMP" as the two humps (One on the parcel shelf, one on the main panel alongside the pull-plate for the top) collide, or something.. Does anyone have any idea how this parcel shelf fits into there properly? [Edit: Oh, and of course I've tried to put those two humps that collide together like legos, with no luck.]

Note the tan colored fabric visible in the first pic. That's not supposed to be like that, right? I've dismantled that region of the car looking for a button or a simple snap-together solution for this problem, and have remained puzzled.

What if I just remove the shelf all together? I don't want to -- but if this one's broken, I would.

Thank you for helping me out, SpyderChat community!
-Matt

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I may have heard this on a Spyder I drove this weekend, but didn't investigate where it was coming from.

Is this a new-to-you car? Has it always made the thump noise? Is yours a factory or an aftermarket top?

I've seen aftermarket tops catch on parts of the down-latch. The glass does not have the fabric protector piece across the upper edge of the glass. The glass gets snagged on the ragtop down latch, while raising the top.

Do you raise and lower the top frequently, or seldom? I flip mine up and down very often as the mood, weather, sun dictate. I imagine that cycles help the fabric "learn" where to crease and slide.

I'll look at mine and see if I can find where that extra fold of material is coming from.

Have you looked at the rear underside of the parcel shelf? There are two plastic hinges that slide onto metal brackets. I wonder if the two hinges are un-clipped allowing the parcel shelf to sit too far forward? I'll look for a picture in my stash.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is new-to-me. The top was replaced just 8 months ago when I bought it. Mine does have that fabric protector piece over the rear window glass so it (hopefully) shouldn't be that. I raise and lower it pretty often but i don't think I have enough yet where it goes up and down with much ease.

Interesting looking clips on the underside of the parcel shelf that I see in your photo. I'll look and see this evening if I can push those into some sort of other retainer on the car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Those plastic clips each form a round cylinder. They ride in two gold colored clips which are attached to the firewall. I don't think they'll snap into place. I had to remove the gold clip and slide it onto the cylinder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts