MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have this popping noise when i make hard left turn or high speed left turn and when it pop the car slide a little to the right switch scare the sh*t out of me each time it does it.....so im thinking it might be either my ball joint or my tie rod casue going straight does fine but when i get up to 55 + the passenger wheel feel like it start to wobble...and that popping noise only happen when i make hard or fast left turns... looking for input on this before i go buy lower control arm and tie rods...

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
I've had a similar issue before (medium to high speed left turns), and yes scary as shit.

Check all rear bushings of all six arms. My toe arm bushing was shot. Found this out while doing a clutch job go figure. Important, while mines looked fine when I was trying to diag the problem, they had a shit ton of slop when moved by hand. So have someone wiggle the wheel while you look at the bushing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i checked it today and moved the wheel up and down...no movement...so decided to move it left and right and the wheel moved...so i took off the wheel and moved it again and saw my ball joint on the lower control arm was moving out of it place...i check my driver side and everything solid as a rock...so i want to say it's the ball joint....doing some research and found out i cant just replace the ball joint have to buy whole new lower control arm... does that sound right?...and thanks for all your guys input!!

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
so i checked it today and moved the wheel up and down...no movement...so decided to move it left and right and the wheel moved...so i took off the wheel and moved it again and saw my ball joint on the lower control arm was moving out of it place...i check my driver side and everything solid as a rock...so i want to say it's the ball joint....doing some research and found out i cant just replace the ball joint have to buy whole new lower control arm... does that sound right?...and thanks for all your guys input!!
Unfortunately that does sound correct. Someone else on here went through the same issue. Check at www.1sttoyotaparts.com/ and see what they go for. They have some pretty good customer service and decent prices. Glad you found out what it was.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Exact same problem I had. My passenger side fell out of the socket and was popping and causing scary steering control. I was driving around for awhile like this. Over time all the load caused my driver side to start slipping out as well. Took it to a shop and quoted me $1,400 to replace both the control arm, labor alignment.

So I ordered 2 used control arms from car-parts.com for $250 shipped. Did all the work myself. Came back and used my warranty for my alignment. The biggest pain was I replaced all all my bushings on my control arm and had to transport it to the new newer control arms. Check your driver side ball joint and make sure that its not showing any damage since youve been driving around with it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have the same popping noise when I back up and turn the wheel to the left. I hear on the passenger side. How hard is it to replace the control arm?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts