MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1205_the_porsche_550_revival_lives/

We have all debated what it would take to cash in our Spyder chips and hand in the keys. Well, this is it for me! The day that I can get my hands on this thing, I am driving off into the sunset. I have been following the extremely slow progress of my dream for nearly three years now, and it appears I have 4 or 5 more to wait... It will be mine:)

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
That is very nice, but if they will be asking $45-60k, it's still quite a bit. I do like its look.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Looks like fun, but by the time they come to market they'll be $60K-$75K and out of my reach. Too bad, looks like a really great car.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Like others here, I thought that really looked interesting - until I got to the projected price. Economy of scale? Really?

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,861 Posts
Yeah. Who's scale are they talking about? Wall Street or all the politicians that work for Wall Street? MY dream of ever owning a Porsche died with my 25% lost of retirement worth and 28% lost of home value since 2006. I will just keep my little 12 year old sports car!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Yeah. Who's scale are they talking about? Wall Street or all the politicians that work for Wall Street? MY dream of ever owning a Porsche died with my 25% lost of retirement worth and 28% lost of home value since 2006. I will just keep my little 12 year old sports car!
I'm glad I got to live my "Porsche dream", but I wouldn't trade the MR2 to get it back. They're nice, but the "real world" handling isn't as fun, and the maintenance is ridiculous.

:D

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
That's a great looking porsche! You guys realize a base 911 is 82k MSRP. That's actually a really good price for the 551 if it comes out soon.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,861 Posts
I have no payments on the MR2. I have driven 911s before. Although I would love to have a '97, the joy and freedom of zero car payments trumps the 911 driving experience. That goes double for a 2017 551!

It is a nice looking car though.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
That's a great looking porsche! You guys realize a base 911 is 82k MSRP. That's actually a really good price for the 551 if it comes out soon.
Usually when the car is coming out within a year they still underestimate the market price by 10-20%. This one is talking five years down the road.

I'd bet that this market won't see a 551 under $60K plus extras, and even if it's "a good price" it'll be $60K+ I don't have.

:D

·
Registered
10,808 Posts
I drove a 911 a couple weeks ago. My opinion? You're "in" the car. My Spyder? I "strap" it on when I get in.
A pure sports car should not embrace over the top luxury. It detracts from the real driving experience. I felt it was a luxurious car with HP.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I drove a 911 a couple weeks ago. My opinion? You're "in" the car. My Spyder? I "strap" it on when I get in.
A pure sports car should not embrace over the top luxury. It detracts from the real driving experience. I felt it was a luxurious car with HP.
I think that Porsche cars as well as the more "sporty" BMWs, etc. are designed to perform well in the area above where most of our "real world" driving takes place. My 911 was best at pretty high speeds on relatively long curves, the MR2 is MUCH more fun in the world of 35-75 mph driving on the twisties. If I had to commute 100 miles via interstates (as I used to) I'd rather have the 911. For all "fun" driving the MR2 is superior IMO.

·
Registered
642 Posts

I don't see it.. at least from the article noted. I was always under the impression that this was slotting in below the boxster in performance and price range.

the boxster is smack in the middle of the price range mentioned. starting at 50K. I don't think a smaller porsche with most likely less performance in that price bracket is a "deal".

to me if you want to go downmarket from the boxster, 40K is the number. not 45-60. otherwise bring on the boxster or Cayman.

the point I guess is moot for me, since I don't have that kind of money, nor intend to spend that on a "fun" car. maybe when I'm old and the mortage is paid off, the kids are through college... but by then it will actually literally fly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wish VW had continued with the BlueSport. With light weight and a TDI power train we could of had a fun Mid engined sports car with 50 plus mpg. Something no other manufacturer offers.

·
Registered
684 Posts
For the money just get a bodykit that would make the Spyder look almost identical and put some dollars into engine mods, Still be way ahead on dollars and have a great car.
Loved the look of that Bluesport also, did not realise it had been canned.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I want the engineering and refinement that the Germans bring to the party. It won't be cheap, I'm okay with that, as long as they being it to market before 2017 and it doesn't get bloated. I would be happy with 2600 lbs., otherwise my eventual Spyder replacement is a 2015 Elise. I am also EXTREMELY smitten with the 2013 Boxster--that thing is beautiful!

The 551 project, though there will be some extra luxury-fluff, is more in keeping with something Perry and Ferdinand would have been proud to bring to market. The irony is that the reason this car has been pushed back from the 2014/2015 schedule is because they don't think Americans will buy a car this small. The irony hurts, because this American wants this car SO BAD:)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts