MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 9 years back someone from russia did a kit with boxster calipers. Now the other day i saw someone from Australia doing a kit with the same calipers but different rotors.

Probably, most very likely, overkill but I'm intriqued.

The only down side i see is that track pads are somewhat expensive in the 400-500 range. Actually now that i'm writing this, these pads and rotors probably would last forever. My question, after some research on the Pcar forums, do you get a lower heat/less aggressive pad because we're 1000 lbs lighter? Or will it heat up the same and you get the same ones the Pcar guys use and it will just last a whooole lot longer?

And anyone know how these would compare to the MAP F/R wilwood kit? Those are 11'' and the Porsche calipers are mounted on 11.7, 11.5" rotors. Heard wilwood calipers flex some.

· Registered
303 Posts
OEM Brembo calipers > Wilwood

I have personally ran the 986 boxster calipers with mini cooper JCW rotors on my old 600whp time attack honda (car weight 2077 lbs.) pad selection is great, I ran ebc yellow and they worked flawlessly on track

There is a company in Poland called UNIT racing that is making brackets to fit the 986 calipers on the spyder.

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the Yellows dust like crazy on your Honda too? I mean racecar who cares but mines for the spyder calipers were really dusty. Also pad life kinda seem short too but they were decent at stopping.

I searched for that Unit company and only saw their facebook page. I saw they made an alfa romeo OE Brembo kit for the fronts but not all 4. And they were slightly larger still. Is that the one or are they coming out with a 986 version too?

· Registered
303 Posts
yeah they killed the wheels with dust. even a 15-20 minute drive on the street and the wheels would be covered. pad life was actually excellent.

I believe facebook is their only contact method at the moment but they do speak english. Supposedly they already make the brackets for 986 calipers even though they aren't on the page, there are some guys across the pond already using them.

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually messaged them and they have two kits available. One is an Alfa Romeo 159 caliper with some Fiat rotor and the second was the Pcar calipers using Mini rotors but they're using the REAR calipers for the front of the spyder which from my calculations aren't big enough by themselves but maybe with the increase brake torque from the bigger rotor will suffice? Who knows but i'm not going with them

Anyway I'm most likely going with the Pcar calipers for all 4 corners. One thing I'm somewhat worried about is the increased front bias from about 51% stock to 61% (numbers might be off a bit but the difference should be more accurate). Another spyder owner i messaged came up with 56% and 64% with 18% more braking power.

Now my question is will this increase braking distances since the rears aren't being used as much or is this an even better bias?
If worst has anyone ever tried a higher friction pad in the rear to counteract something like this? Or is there anything else that can be done to move the bias back?
Is this even necessary, will I be leaving braking perfomance on the table?

I'm really keen to do some before and after braking tests just to see some real world numbers. Again these will be super overkill and may decrease performance but my stock calipers are on the way out, I'm bored and want to try something new with the spyder. On the plus side, pads and rotors will last forever and pad changes will be a breeze especially the rear.

· Registered
303 Posts
good info, not sure why they decided to use the rear caliper in the front? did they give any more info on that alfa/fiat setup?

I would think the 986 calipers in their correct orientation would work quite well with the spyder, but if they do increase bias that much, its hard to say if an adjustable proportioning valve would be needed

front to rear weight bias could also play a role

changing pad compound alone wont help with a bias issue

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what they said about that kit. “ Brake disc 305x28mm 4x100 Fiat Evo/Grande Punto (OE no .: 51778054, 51822457, 50902166).
Brake calipers Brembo AR159 / Brera (AR OE no .: 77363536, 77364507) or Renault Megane Mk3 RS (Renault OE no: 410010873R, 410011535R, 410019207R).
The cost of a set of adapters, mounting screws and centering rings for the shield is $ 195. Shipping to Colorado is $ 80 (UPS). Shipping as a gift.”

I’d rather get something newer but those models are hard to find here other than eBay and with shipping gets kinda expensive just for fronts. Unless someone knows if any of those parts references any American models.

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also realize with my kswap, wheel and tire sizes, removed weight front, back and middle, coil overs/suspension arms, CoG and weight distribution has probably all shifted anyway lol.

· Registered
Weigh, Cut, Weigh, Weld, Glue, Cut, Weigh, Drill
2,456 Posts
Unearthing an old thread but Any chance you made progress on running pcar calipers?
I am about to design some adapters for the Willwood Dynalite light weight calipers. However, I am designing for 10.5" rotors. I may be willing to have an extra set cut out. Those calipers are very cheap and a much more modern design than the old P car calipers.

· Registered
Weigh, Cut, Weigh, Weld, Glue, Cut, Weigh, Drill
2,456 Posts
I run 4 piston Dynalites on my 1475 WHP Supra which sees a lot of track time and they are great, pad selection is excellent. Should be more than good enough for a MR2.
You mistyped so I corrected it for you. If you own a Supra you're supposed to add 1000 hp to anything that you dyno. Good to hear you're liking them though. What size fitting did you need on the Toyota side for the hoses? I'm pretty sure the ZZW30 (shares calipers with the SW20 in the rear) uses the same size brake lines with the Supra MK3 & MK4 too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts