MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
engine advice

I want to put a Porsche engine in my 2002 mr2 Spyder. I've been having trouble with my smt tranny and I ready to get some real horses. Will a porsche engine and tranny swap in smoothly or will I have to find another engine.... I really want a six speed. I realy would rather keep it in the Toyota family what newer Toyota engine would beef up my car

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Yes. You can get one of these from Ruf for about $45-$55,000 or so, and maybe another $15,000 for their transmission.

Bolts right in, and it's got 550 hp.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Yes. You can get one of these from Ruf for about $45-$55,000 or so, and maybe another $15,000 for their transmission.

Bolts right in, and it's got 550 hp.

That swap has been done so many times, it's yesterday's news.

·
Registered
495 Posts
That's only $43,000-$53,000 more than a 2zz and a whopping ~400hp more. Sounds like a good deal

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
If you want a German engine, why not use a Heinkel. 750 hp.

Bolts right in.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I want to put a Porsche engine in my 2002 mr2 Spyder. I've been having trouble with my smt tranny and I ready to get some real horses. Will a porsche engine and tranny swap in smoothly or will I have to find another engine.... I really want a six speed. I realy would rather keep it in the Toyota family what newer Toyota engine would beef up my car
Simple answer - it rotates the wrong direction. More to the point - I doubt that you could afford it! If you're really hung up on Porsches (and I've owned 5 or 6), go buy yourself an early 70's 914 and work with that.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Bo-ring !

Too late !

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
A rotary engine would be interesting though...

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I think we can arrange that.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
That's only $43,000-$53,000 more than a 2zz and a whopping ~400hp more. Sounds like a good deal
I'm telling you, if I had an extra $550,000.00 or so to drop on a daily driver, this WOULD be it ! ! !

Better gas mileage than the 8 cylinder one, I'm sure. HAHA !

·
Registered
490 Posts
Simple answer - it rotates the wrong direction. More to the point - I doubt that you could afford it! If you're really hung up on Porsches (and I've owned 5 or 6), go buy yourself an early 70's 914 and work with that.
You're saying Porsche engines rotate counter-clockwise?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
The solution to that is to drive backwards. But basically you would have a FWD then...

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I want to put a Toyota motor in my virtual Porsche. Maybe two of them!

·
Registered
217 Posts
You're saying Porsche engines rotate counter-clockwise?
Dont the porsche engines mount in typical FR engine orientation??... north-south or whatever its called while the MR2 has a more front wheel drive type engine orientation... east-west.

Either way though if you're really looking for an engine swap for the mr2, then most of the viable choices are going to come from donor cars that are front wheel drive.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts