772 Posts
Using up lots of $$ or very few $$.

Reactions: fucklovesosa

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
226 Posts
IN THE YEAR 2000

MR2 Spyder virtually matched or beat the Porsche Boxster, all for about $20,000 less.

MR2 VS BOXSTER - Celeste's MR2 Spyder Web Site

That being said, the Boxster still edges out the MR2 at the extremes.

You might find the Porsche to have finer styling accouterments and harder to work on in areas, but the 2.7L flat-six is a lovely engine and pretty darn reliable.

Reactions: hardmode

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I think there is reason to look at an 09+ Porsche. Compared to most cars, they're pretty engaging to drive, but they're a little bit more comfort oriented than the MR2 Spyder. The steering feel is MUCH better than the overboosted Spyder rack, and the same is true for even the maligned 981/991.1 cars which numbed the steering, but I think the rest of the Spyder's controls feel more "direct".

Unless you really really like wrenching or drive very little, I would stay away from anything earlier. The water pumps go bad, the AOS goes bad, many sensors go bad, the engine oil starves despite "integrated dry sump" marketing, and the list goes on. Most buyers seem unaware of the vast difference between the MA1 and M96/M97 engines and pay close to 987.2 money for earlier cars.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Poeh.
A comparison between apples and pears.

The Porsche is a WAY more sophisticated car. The new prices by and large reflected this.
If what the car can dó is the paramenter then there is no contest; the Boxster it is.

Older Boxsters have bcome more affordable because their maintenance is just as unaffordable as it ever was and the Toyota maintenance is Toyoya priced.
If budget is any priority then the Spyder it is.

If image is a thing. Well, there are two sides to that too. Some feel the Porsche adds to their ego, some do want nót that image sticking to their ego.

Simples.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The steering feel is MUCH better than the overboosted Spyder rack...
I thought the steering rack only added boost at low speeds? Under 15mph? I always found the steering and brakes on our cars to be top shelf. Very direct to me. And Doug Demero for that matter (In his review he was shocked at the steering. Didn't like anything else, but loved the steering.)

·
Registered
776 Posts
And,

My son and I are in the market for a 2006 or so Boxster. We have seen some for 12k or so. I am interested in this as well. What are your thoughts? How hard are they to work on? And do they have dangerous horse power? I like being able to floor it and not get in trouble.

·
Registered
772 Posts
And,

My son and I are in the market for a 2006 or so Boxster. We have seen some for 12k or so. I am interested in this as well. What are your thoughts? How hard are they to work on? And do they have dangerous horse power? I like being able to floor it and not get in trouble.
Common reported problem is the intermediate shaft bearing. I have no idea the cost of a fix. As for the Porsche being better at the extremes, I bet most of us drive on the streets, not tracks, so extremes aren’t an issue (or shouldn’t be). More comfortable and luxurious?, no question, but you pay for it. And lightweight tossability, the Spyder has few peers.

Reactions: Gunship Runabout

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Intermediate shaft bearings are cheap and not an issue on an 06. They're the least of your worries.

Excessive chain guide wear, excessive bore wear, misfiring from a bad DMF, misfiring from a bad cam position sensor, water pump crumbling to pieces, failing valve lifters, failing AOS, the list goes on.

If you get a newer one, most of the things inside the engine won't go bad on you.

The MR-S steering rack is just a normal hydraulic rack and the pump runs all the time, you can hear it whining.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Owned a MK1 MR2, two spyders, now own a 718 Boxster. As the 718 is an 2018 car you cannot compare it to a 2005 spyder.
In saying that, anyone who thinks a spyder or Boxster the same age are similar in driving experiences are simply deluding themselves.

I'd also warrant that as many spyders suffer oval bore/precat failure/excessive oil usage as Boxsters suffered IMS failure.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Yea good points, the storage space in Porsches is SO MUCH BETTER, and the early 1ZZs seem to all have severe oil consumption. That said, buying another engine for the Spyder is an inexpensive affair, while the supply of M96 and M97 engines is tight as they like to blow (by contrast, you can find MA1 engines from wreckers for rather cheap).

·
Registered
776 Posts
The MR-S steering rack is just a normal hydraulic rack and the pump runs all the time, you can hear it whining.
Here is a discussion on this:

·
Registered
776 Posts
What about a 987 Boxster? Past 2005 fixes the IMS. Anyone with experience with one? Driving and repairing?

I am a bit afraid of how Porsche hides the engine. Is it fixable? In a standard middle class garage?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the replies, from what we heard/read maybe a comparison between a miata and a spyder is more accurate
(although the miata is not mid engine, that is why the boxster came up).

from recent prices both 986 boxster and mr2 spyder (and also mx5) are similar for nice cars,
so guess it all comes to how much you are willing to pay to maintain the car well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,

A friend is interested in buying either a Porsche Boxster or the Spyder,
anyone has / had both and can write about it ?

I own a 2000 Spyder, and a 2006 Porsche Boxster (base trim). Both are great cars, but the Boxster has certainly required more repairs (mostly the convertible top mechanism) than the Spyder. OTOH, the Boxster is more comfortable than the Spyder, not nearly as noisy, and quite a bit faster. I find that I fatigue a lot quicker in the Spyder, probably due to the noise and (for me) cramped seating. The Boxster is not generous on storage but has a lot more than the Spyder, which has virtually none. Overall, the handling of the Boxster is superior.

Buying a Boxster is tricky. Your friend does not want anything earlier than 2006 due to the infamous intermediate shaft issue in earlier models which can destroy the engine and was the subject of a class-action lawsuit against Porsche. There is a saying among Porsche owners that the cheapest Porsche you buy will be the most expensive Porsche you ever own in that the cheaper high mileage cars can be had for low prices, and typically need a lot of repairs which are very expensive. All that said, the Boxster is a great driving car and I love mine. The repairs are hideously expensive and dealerships are notorious for price gouging.

As for my Spyder, after 21 years and 85K miles, the car runs like a watch, and my expenditures have been routine service, brakes, tires, gas, and oil. The car has so far not required any repairs at all. I enjoy driving it although not as much as the Porsche, but the Porsche is a far more expensive car to repair and maintain.

I am going to leave it to other Spyder owners here to comment on the virtues or problems with the car, as I have really not had enough driving time in it to say anything really meaningful about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What about a 987 Boxster? Past 2005 fixes the IMS. Anyone with experience with one? Driving and repairing?

I am a bit afraid of how Porsche hides the engine. Is it fixable? In a standard middle class garage?
I have a 2006 Boxster which is a great road car. The mid-engine makes for great handling and is difficult to access, but you rarely if ever need to. The repairs are horribly expensive and the dealers are a complete no-go for repairs as they price gouge like crazy. Independent repair is also expensive but not quite as bad. The average middle-class garage cannot work on this car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
And,

As the owner of a 2006 Boxster, I can tell you that a car in that price range will have multiple problems that will be very expensive to repair. I would avoid anything under about 18-20 K for a 2006 base model, and I would have anything in that price range (or any Porsche you buy that isn't new) inspected VERY carefully prior to purchase.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
On Boxa.net the mantra is buy on service history/condition not mileage. I.e a higher mileage car that has been maintained properly is a better buy than a low mileage garage queen. Porsches like to be driven and will do very high mileages if looked after properly.

Any competent garage can work on the older Boxsters and many on boxa.net do their own maintenance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On Boxa.net the mantra is buy on service history/condition not mileage. I.e a higher mileage car that has been maintained properly is a better buy than a low mileage garage queen. Porsches like to be driven and will do very high mileages if looked after properly.

Any competent garage can work on the older Boxsters and many on boxa.net do their own maintenance.
I don't think that Boxsters "like" to do anything since they are machines and not people or animals. They are also subject to entropy, and the more you use them, the more things wear out just as with any other machine. In regard to "any competent garage", I agree, except that at least where I live "competent" garages are few and far between, and the parts themselves are exceedingly expensive.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts