MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,

A friend is interested in buying either a Porsche Boxster or the Spyder,
anyone has / had both and can write about it ?

I own a 2000 Spyder, and a 2006 Porsche Boxster (base trim). Both are great cars, but the Boxster has certainly required more repairs (mostly the convertible top mechanism) than the Spyder. OTOH, the Boxster is more comfortable than the Spyder, not nearly as noisy, and quite a bit faster. I find that I fatigue a lot quicker in the Spyder, probably due to the noise and (for me) cramped seating. The Boxster is not generous on storage but has a lot more than the Spyder, which has virtually none. Overall, the handling of the Boxster is superior.

Buying a Boxster is tricky. Your friend does not want anything earlier than 2006 due to the infamous intermediate shaft issue in earlier models which can destroy the engine and was the subject of a class-action lawsuit against Porsche. There is a saying among Porsche owners that the cheapest Porsche you buy will be the most expensive Porsche you ever own in that the cheaper high mileage cars can be had for low prices, and typically need a lot of repairs which are very expensive. All that said, the Boxster is a great driving car and I love mine. The repairs are hideously expensive and dealerships are notorious for price gouging.

As for my Spyder, after 21 years and 85K miles, the car runs like a watch, and my expenditures have been routine service, brakes, tires, gas, and oil. The car has so far not required any repairs at all. I enjoy driving it although not as much as the Porsche, but the Porsche is a far more expensive car to repair and maintain.

I am going to leave it to other Spyder owners here to comment on the virtues or problems with the car, as I have really not had enough driving time in it to say anything really meaningful about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What about a 987 Boxster? Past 2005 fixes the IMS. Anyone with experience with one? Driving and repairing?

I am a bit afraid of how Porsche hides the engine. Is it fixable? In a standard middle class garage?
I have a 2006 Boxster which is a great road car. The mid-engine makes for great handling and is difficult to access, but you rarely if ever need to. The repairs are horribly expensive and the dealers are a complete no-go for repairs as they price gouge like crazy. Independent repair is also expensive but not quite as bad. The average middle-class garage cannot work on this car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
And,

My son and I are in the market for a 2006 or so Boxster. We have seen some for 12k or so. I am interested in this as well. What are your thoughts? How hard are they to work on? And do they have dangerous horse power? I like being able to floor it and not get in trouble.
As the owner of a 2006 Boxster, I can tell you that a car in that price range will have multiple problems that will be very expensive to repair. I would avoid anything under about 18-20 K for a 2006 base model, and I would have anything in that price range (or any Porsche you buy that isn't new) inspected VERY carefully prior to purchase.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On Boxa.net the mantra is buy on service history/condition not mileage. I.e a higher mileage car that has been maintained properly is a better buy than a low mileage garage queen. Porsches like to be driven and will do very high mileages if looked after properly.

Any competent garage can work on the older Boxsters and many on boxa.net do their own maintenance.
I don't think that Boxsters "like" to do anything since they are machines and not people or animals. They are also subject to entropy, and the more you use them, the more things wear out just as with any other machine. In regard to "any competent garage", I agree, except that at least where I live "competent" garages are few and far between, and the parts themselves are exceedingly expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not using a car leads to its own problems, stale fuel, old oil, rubber parts hardening/perishing, etc. A car that is used regularly and maintained as it should be avoids this.
We have seen plenty of instances on Boxa.net of people buying very low mileage cars that have needed immediate work and people buying high mileage cars that have been spot on as the previous owners have addressed any faults as they have arisen.

Any machine with moving parts likes, sorry benefits, from being used regularly as against sitting for long periods of time.
I will concede that cars should be used, but that does not mean that things will not wear out as a result of heavy use. That said, no use is almost as bad. A few instances of old used high mileage cars running well is not indicative of any general trend. I think a lot of this is superstition and wishful thinking among those who buy cheap old cars and hope to get a few good miles out of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts