MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an 02 MR2 (SMT), 53kmiles . I was at a complete stop in 1st gear. The car creeped forward without hitting the gas and the whole car came to a jolting stop. Same thing happened when I tried to reverse. Also tried taking off in 2nd gear with the same result. I had it towed home.

I can get it going, I just need to get the rpm high before I go or hit the gas immediately after I let go of the brake. Occasionally slips between gears also.

I did a complete change of my Hydra
I have left my battery unplugged overnight and am about to plug it back in and attempt to do the “clutch friction point relearn” in hopes of that solving this issue.

I have three error codes
P0304, P0003, P0103
I did clean the MAF sensor with proper cleaner and out a new filter in, those codes did not go away.

Would a bad MAF sensor cause all of this? Or would it be the APS, TPS or the GSA Actuator Link might be damaged? (Gonna try to take a look at that tonight

Toyota refused to do a relearn for me which is disappointing. And charged me 90$ to say the Sequential clutch assembly is bad (duh).

Current waiting for a 32 bit laptop to be shipped to me so I can run Techstream.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys, I have an 02 MR2 (SMT), 53kmiles . I was at a complete stop in 1st gear. The car creeped forward without hitting the gas and the whole car came to a jolting stop. Same thing happened when I tried to reverse. Also tried taking off in 2nd gear with the same result. I had it towed home.

I can get it going, I just need to get the rpm high before I go or hit the gas immediately after I let go of the brake. Occasionally slips between gears also.

I did a complete change of my Hydra
I have left my battery unplugged overnight and am about to plug it back in and attempt to do the “clutch friction point relearn” in hopes of that solving this issue.

I have three error codes
P0304, P0003, P0103
I did clean the MAF sensor with proper cleaner and out a new filter in, those codes did not go away.

Would a bad MAF sensor cause all of this? Or would it be the APS, TPS or the GSA Actuator Link might be damaged? (Gonna try to take a look at that tonight

Toyota refused to do a relearn for me which is disappointing. And charged me 90$ to say the Sequential clutch assembly is bad (duh).

Current waiting for a 32 bit laptop to be shipped to me so I can run Techstream.
Also, my VIN ends in 53399. Don’t think the Mr. T upgrade was ever done on it, if that helps. They also will not replace that.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You still have an engine misfire on cylinder #4. Could be the fuel injector or coil or spark plug. Does the engine consume oil? I would think a bad maf would cause a random misfire rather than one specific cylinder but maybe that’s the weakest one.
If the car shifts into all gears, the actuator link is fine.
Also, have a good look at the throttle body, especially the two sensors and pcv hose.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You still have an engine misfire on cylinder #4. Could be the fuel injector or coil or spark plug. Does the engine consume oil? I would think a bad maf would cause a random misfire rather than one specific cylinder but maybe that’s the weakest one.
If the car shifts into all gears, the actuator link is fine.
Also, have a good look at the throttle body, especially the two sensors and pcv hose.
I replaced the MAF sensor and I’m going to replace the Throttle Position sensor tonight. No way to tell if the MAF code went away because I pulled the - battery cable to try to integrate the new sensor to no avail.
It does appear at times the car doesn’t want to stay in 2nd gear. It’s fine when I first start driving, but then I lose 2nd after a few minutes.
Also have to mention that the car not wanting to stay in 2nd is an issue that’s developed. It wasn’t doing that when this started happening.
I also noticed it runs significantly better when the engine is cold and then starts getting worse when it’s around horizontal on the gauge.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE

Pulled code P0780 from the transmission. Hopefully this helps me and/or anyone else on here

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Looks like a generic code for an automatic transmission, which ours isn’t but it may indicate a transmission problem in general. You’re going to want Techstream for relevant information.
This was a similar problem with the engine codes you posted.
Try loading another version of techstream. My son in law said the disc he got didn’t work and had to contact the seller and they instructed him to a place he could download the program.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like a generic code for an automatic transmission, which ours isn’t but it may indicate a transmission problem in general. You’re going to want Techstream for relevant information.
This was a similar problem with the engine codes you posted.
Try loading another version of techstream. My son in law said the disc he got didn’t work and had to contact the seller and they instructed him to a place he could download the program.
Just got home, will get on that right away and report back.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Wow, I was wrong about the 780 code being generic. I found that code listed in a 2001 manual and is listed as a shift change malfunction which is what I think you’re experiencing with the 2nd gear. The cause is a synchronizer ring or TCU.
The equivalent code in the 2004 manual is P0896 but they’ve added some other possibilities, trans speed sensor, wheel speed sensors, gsa, trans.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, I was wrong about the 780 code being generic. I found that code listed in a 2001 manual and is listed as a shift change malfunction which is what I think you’re experiencing with the 2nd gear. The cause is a synchronizer ring or TCU.
The equivalent code in the 2004 manual is P0896 but they’ve added some other possibilities, trans speed sensor, wheel speed sensors, gsa, trans.
Which one of these would make my SMT creep in 1st? To my knowledge, I’m not supposed to creep without my foot on the gas

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
My conclusion was they should match each other which it appears yours does. I’ve seen some that don’t match up and read that they can be off .5mm and be in tolerance.
Have you corrected the high idle issue? Also have you looked for fluid on the clutch stroke sensor? Next you could inspect and test the input shaft speed sensor. I’ve been considering that the TCU may have miscalculated the clutch friction point due to information given from a faulty input shaft sensor. If not then maybe consider a TCU upgrade. I think the upgraded TCU has iirc, o41 written on it instead of o21 for the 5 speed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My conclusion was they should match each other which it appears yours does. I’ve seen some that don’t match up and read that they can be off .5mm and be in tolerance.
Have you corrected the high idle issue? Also have you looked for fluid on the clutch stroke sensor? Next you could inspect and test the input shaft speed sensor. I’ve been considering that the TCU may have miscalculated the clutch friction point due to information given from a faulty input shaft sensor. If not then maybe consider a TCU upgrade. I think the upgraded TCU has iirc, o41 written on it instead of o21 for the 5 speed.
Do you have a picture or diagram on where I find the clutch stroke sensor and the input shaft speed sensor?

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
You should maybe have this - I don't know if it's linked anywhere else. Documentation for SMT.

I am looking for a comprehensive Toyota list of SMT specific diagnostic codes and troubleshooting procedures - analogous to corresponding docs for engine control, ABS, SRS, et cetera - but not finding. Anybody have one?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
All I’ve been able to find and use is the BGB and the LGB (little green book/electrical) and what you posted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts