MR2 SpyderChat banner
161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
MR-2 ZZW30 2001 RHD
115 Posts
My aim here is to find an ECU that MR2 / MR-S / Spyder owners world wide can easily source and use in their cars. Something that can be bought in most areas easily.
I am curious to know if you found this style of ECU in any of the Toyota's sold in Europe.
My Corolla T-sport from 2002 already uses CAN to communicate with the ABS, not sure about the cluster.
I expect all the UK production Toyota's to use CAN then?
Anything with a ZR engine from 2008 onwards uses e-throttle.

As for the AC: I think this is sent by the climate control unit not the cluster? If I recal correctly the climate control is also on the BEAN bus.
I am an embedded FW engineer, so if you need some testing or help: let me know. My car is a 2002 UK car with AC.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Yes I have found this type of ECU for sale in the EU, I bought one last week from an ebay seller in eastern europe. I got one last week for £60 inc shipping and taxes from Lithuania. They are not that common, but also they are not expensive.

I have also found a Corolla 1.6 VVTi ecu which is fundamentally the same, but I cannot write this flash data to it because they use a "password" to check the right firmware is going on the right ECU, and I cannot find a factory update file for the 1.6 ecu.

UK Corolla uses the later ECU type, which is why over here they are not good donors for the 2zz swap, but I am no expert in any of that, nor do I have a car to confirm. But not all Corolla's here in the UK are are equal, some were made in France, some Japan and some in the UK, but again I'm no corolla expert.

In an MR2, the Climate control panel has a few wires that goes to the cluster.Two is for AC demand, one is for rear window heater, two go to a thermistor in the duct work under the dash. But again, my car is non-AC so doesn't seem to have all the wires populated, so I cannot confirm this. See wiring diagram attached.

Someone on board who can "sniff the bean" for the AC would be very helpful. All you need is an arduino, and make the two circuits on the left up from here

Then you can push the 12v, GND, TX and RX wires into the back of your clusters connectors and use the Arduino serial monitor window to stream the bean while you press the AC buttons.

The circuit boards that are getting delivered this week have all the electronics on the board for the AC to work, it just needs the Arduino coding to listen to the packets from the cluster and then fire the correct digital outputs.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 · (Edited)
08224 08224 (16-bit decimal)
6425 6425 (scaled by 0.78125)
0x0545E
Time to test these rev limiter ideas tonight.
Going to try the 20 20 20 20 @ 0x0545E
I will swap it to 80 25 80 25 = 7500 rpm

If it doesn't work, I will datalog the rev limiter happening in 4th gear where it is a bit less bouncy and see if I can get an accurate graph plot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
So at row 2E90 there is a little block

80 11 00 0f 80 21
3500 -- -- 6700

It can't be 21C0 = 6750 because 21C0 is not in the file
It can't be 4021 = 6650 because 4021 is not in the file

I'll go and test now... :geek:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
PCB's arrived.
I have made some dimensional errors, but for a rev v0.1 they are pretty reasonable.
And it starts and drives the car, which again isn't bad.
Just need to solder in all the Arduino bits now.
Circuit component Product Green Sleeve Hardware programmer
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Computer data storage Wood

Circuit component Electronic component Computer hardware Microcontroller Electronic engineering
Netbook Wood Office supplies Gas Office equipment

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 · (Edited)
Rev 2 will be closer to some thing half decent. Once I get a PCB that is worth making, I will share the Gerber files so anyone can get it made and delivered via PCBWay/JLCPCB online.

Proper fixing to the case, proper alignment, bigger drill holes for the connector to fit through.

Plus a port for 2 wire knock sensor, optional resistor to fix the evap pressure sensor missing from UK cars, and header for the missing ODB2 sockets L line.

The missing L line is more proof that Toyota never made any MR2's reflashable, the whole Toyota TSB software update thing was some naughty game or error.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Electric blue Electronic device

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
I'm struggling to find these rev limit blocks, there are alot of hours of my life lost comparing hex data.
Does anyone out there have a bitedit dongle?
I can't get one over here, the whole Russia thing is getting in the way. Everywhere is out of stock.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I do have a bitedit dongle. I may be even able to find it if I look for it hard enough. But I don't know if it's possible to purchase any additional credits or authorizations at the moment. Previously I had to send these jokers a Western Union money order to make a purchase.

Maybe ECM Titanium cheapware version?

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Pattern

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Well, if you have the dongle, I can still buy the module. I've just made a call to a firm here in the UK that can add modules to the dongle account. All they need is the Dongle/USB Key number, and the email address registered on the Bitedit/Bitbox account.

A friend who has ECM Titanium and Proper Alientech genuine hardware and subscription account is looking into it for me now.

My plan is, to open the file with a software tool that has all the definitions. Then set each of the maps/tables to a known value e.g. 1234 etc. Then save the file loads of times with just 1 table set to 1234. Then I can create a TunerPro XDF which means its all free software to do the tuning.

161 - 176 of 176 Posts