MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question: I have a fixed mast stubby radio antenna on my stock 2001 MR2 Spyder and want to put a power one in. Tired of unscrewing it every time I cover the car and don't want to cut a hole in the cover. What do I need for an antenna and what am I going to run into electrically to get it to go up and down when the radio goes on/off? (I did a search on Spyderchat and woefully failed, as usual). Thanks for the help or any leads. Saw this one on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-POWER-ANTENNA-AM-FM-RADIO-MAST-REPLACEMENT-12V-AERIAL-for-CAR-VEHICLE-/121156204415?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:MR2+Spyder&hash=item1c3578f77f&vxp=mtr (Sorry for the long sentence, but pressing the 'enter' key doesn't seem to do anything for me in the forum)

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
You should try Takuban's shorty antennae. Otherwise I would try and post a WTB ad in the classified section for someone who removed theirs.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
There are possibly some members on here that have replaced their *working* power antenna assemblies with the stationary base and installed my Short Antenna. I do know that some people have used my antenna with a car cover with great success as well. I think that's why some of my customers went with my antenna to begin with.

To convert to electric, you will need 2 OEM parts (the rubber grommet for the electric antenna, and the antenna base with retractable antenna). I can provide you instructions for doing the swap from electric to manual which should help when going the other way too.

You might need to route a turn-on wire to connect to the antenna so it knows to raise when the radio comes on.

let me know if you get the OEM parts and/or need the instructions that I supply with my antenna kits. I'll be happy to help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts