MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, the power antenna on my newly acquired 03 won't go down. I hear the motor trying but nothing happens, maybe like a gear issue? Should I attempt to fix it, or replace it?

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
Not 100% sure on the Spyder but many power antennas have a long nylon gear strip that gets stopped when it gets stuck. Don't know if you can replace that strip separately or not. That could prevent it from going down. That or you married it.:lol:

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I replaced the antenna and drive cable on my Solara. It should be available from Toyota Dealer. I had to remove the motor to fish out the broken tip of the drive cable. Then you just feed in the new cable and antenna from the exterior.

First take off the big nut from the fender and see if it will spit out the broken piece of drive cable. (retract antenna, remove nut, then switch on the radio) If it does, you won't have to pull the motor out of the fender.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Antenna mast

Had the same thing happen to me a month ago.
Purchased the replacement mast at the dealer.
You have to remove the right rear wheel & wheel well to get at the antenna.
The wheel well is attached with plastic holders - get some extras when you purchase the replacement mast. I had to replace about 8 of them when I did mine...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the antenna and drive cable on my Solara. It should be available from Toyota Dealer. I had to remove the motor to fish out the broken tip of the drive cable. Then you just feed in the new cable and antenna from the exterior.

First take off the big nut from the fender and see if it will spit out the broken piece of drive cable. (retract antenna, remove nut, then switch on the radio) If it does, you won't have to pull the motor out of the fender.
Not in front of the car atm, is this big nut under the fender?

·
Registered
471 Posts
The "nut" should be a chrome piece with two slots visible (outside the fender). The slots look like screwdriver slots. I always use two screwdrivers side-by-side and scratch the fender when they slip. :(
You can use needle nose pliers to loosen the nut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When i turned the car off, while motor was working i slightly pushed down on it and it went down on its own. Havent had time yet to do anything else yet.

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
Try this.

Have someone hold the antennae and then have a group of friends lift up the car. If it works, I want pics!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it possible to unplug the motor so the the antenna won't go up?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts