MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there room to install a 12V power outlet into the small storage ares that in the middle of the dash? It would need 3" of depth minimum for the unit and wiring. If there is room behind the plastic, how do you get the tray out? Is it one piece with the whole top dash cover?

Want to use for GPS or phone charger power.

TIA

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I would buy dedicated power accessories then drill a small hole on the corner of the opening to pass the wires to and tap into the ignition circuit.
This is what I did and spliced the cig lighter power. I have a 3 plug unit hidden in there for the radar detector, GPS and Phone charger when needed. I can take a pic tonight if you want.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
This install was very quick for me because no panels needed to be removed...gravity feeds the wire down from the dash compartment to the floor.

You can go further and have the your phone charging cradle's wire hidden too.

Further yet we can revive Palm and have wireless charging on the magnetic cradle. I am pretty sure apple and droids will get/circumvent licencing to do this themselves.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Yours may be the one I think I remember.
Have you posted pictures of it before?
Not sure if I did or not. I will get a pic tonight and post it. Simple hole in the corner, drop the wire, splice it in and velcro the power unit down. Makes for easy removal too if needed.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would buy dedicated power accessories then drill a small hole on the corner of the opening to pass the wires to and tap into the ignition circuit.
Where is the best place to tap the ignition circuit for an available switched 12V for this area of the car?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.