MR2 SpyderChat banner

Power Quest document

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The idea for this occurred while answering the same 'ol questions for the umpeenth time. I realized there was nothing that tied everything together for the enthusiast new to the MR2 Spyder.

So I compiled my notes, PM's and emails into a single document peppered with hyperlinks and tossed it out onto the 'net.

Theres really nothing new here and its certainly not meant to be the definitive guide to making power with ZZ engines. If anyone has a suggestion or thinks I just plain got something wrong. Let me know.
<span style="color:#ff00ff">DivShare File - Power_Quest_An_Enthusiasts_Perspective.doc

This is what it currently covers.

1. Stock Power Limits
  2. Research Topics
  3. Boosted ,Blown or Sprayed
  4. New Engine Street Break In Procedure
  5. Boosted 1Z Engine Tuning Summary
  6. Dynos, Shops and Tuners
  7. Aftermarket CAMS
  8. Fuel and Ignition Upgrades
  9. Cooling System Upgrades
  10. Oiling System Upgrades
  11. Crank Case Ventilation
  12. Power Supporting Modifications
  13. Emissions Testing and Stock Sensor Info
  14. Stock ECU Facts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Tip of the hat, Bill. A great effort to compose a compendium of valuable information for those in serious quest of power (i.e., the "doers" and not just "talkers").

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
"A ZZ engine’s ECU will allow power to build until something lets go." Is that true? So, I can bore the MAF, switch to larger inj's, deck the block or/and shave the head, get more aggressive cams and the ECU will keep up?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
=-[;'/banmeplease

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
I downloaded it to my desktop and put it in my "Spyder Stuff" desktop folder for easy reference. I don't plan on boosting, but the info IS priceless.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
Nice work. This should be a sticky in the library. Newbs should be simply directed to this post and there will be less flaming and hazing. Hm. Gonna miss that.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
SE, please...newbs are already directed toward the "knowledge" areas, what makes you think the amount of flaming and hazing will lessen. You'll still be content.
I didn't know you were an optimist

And yes, WTS's post SHOULD be stickied

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow!!! So much information in one document with tons of links. Thanks!

The people on Newcelica.org should also be enlightened with some of this information, I don't know if you post there, but would suggest you do. If you don't want to, then I'll gladly do it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (southerneditor @ Apr 26 2008, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nice work. This should be a sticky in the library. Newbs should be simply directed to this post and there will be less flaming and hazing. Hm. Gonna miss that.[/b]
most newbs never read, they just ask.

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JcanRacer @ Apr 27 2008, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (southerneditor @ Apr 26 2008, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice work. This should be a sticky in the library. Newbs should be simply directed to this post and there will be less flaming and hazing. Hm. Gonna miss that.[/b]
most newbs never read, they just ask.
[/b][/quote]

First, I think its great that WTS has taken the time to better our knowledge.

I work out of many forums and I can tell you that many of these newbies ask because they think their path to fame is posting their power goals. If they really wanted to know there is plenty of information out there and this PDF will probably will curtail some asking questions and the rest will still post because they want some kind of ego trip.

I have been seeing a new trend of newbies searching but then posting miss information.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i havent seen the misinformation posts, but i will agree with Dev that most noobs ask by posting up ridiculous power goals and a list of proposed mad tyte jdm mods yo. I dont know, maybe its in the hopes of increasing post count? I read more than i post here so my post count is pretty low, people might take me for a noob, but i have been trolling this forum for years hehe.

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JcanRacer @ Apr 27 2008, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i havent seen the misinformation posts, but i will agree with Dev that most noobs ask by posting up ridiculous power goals and a list of proposed mad tyte jdm mods yo. I dont know, maybe its in the hopes of increasing post count? I read more than i post here so my post count is pretty low, people might take me for a noob, but i have been trolling this forum for years hehe.[/b]
I often find that it's in the hopes of gaining some kind of acceptance though their car. There is a whole society of people that think others will think they are cool with a high horsepower car or one that looks the part. Very shallow if you ask me.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
i will agree with Dev that most noobs ask by posting up ridiculous power goals and a list of proposed mad tyte jdm mods yo.[/b]
That's exactly right. And another thing - these crazy HP newbs always assume that it can be done for, oh, $1500 or so. They have very unrealistic expectations about cost. When they get a look at what the electrical and engine management will involve and cost in parts alone, they disappear, never to be heard from again.

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (southerneditor @ Apr 27 2008, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
i will agree with Dev that most noobs ask by posting up ridiculous power goals and a list of proposed mad tyte jdm mods yo.[/b]
That's exactly right. And another thing - these crazy HP newbs always assume that it can be done for, oh, $1500 or so. They have very unrealistic expectations about cost. When they get a look at what the electrical and engine management will involve and cost in parts alone, they disappear, never to be heard from again.
[/b][/quote]

Not to mention reliability or taking the time to do it right. Once their engine blows they want to claim sour grapes or become conveniently enlightened about being modest and finishing school.

·
Registered
233 Posts
haha I blew my engine and i am still in school (MBA), maybe i should be complaining more?

Its also not universally a noob thing, but perhaps a youth thing. the offending noobs are usually young and its their first car or a hand-me-down car so they genuinely do not know about the costs involved.

WTS has a line in his intro that says "N.A. mods will never break 180whp for less than $10k" But i dare say that there should be a chapter thats builds upon the concept that "you must PAY to PLAY" outlining how much money the hopeful tuner should expect to pay for varying levels of power.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
About this Discussion
74 Replies
43 Participants
Mink
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing