MR2 SpyderChat banner

Power Quest document

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey! Who voted "NO" and how did you vote twice?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JcanRacer @ Apr 27 2008, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
...there should be a chapter thats builds upon the concept that "you must PAY to PLAY"[/b]
Haha, sounds like your engine just volunteered you as the author!

Anyhoo, the "Supporting Modification" section is just a skeletal list and missing many bones at that.
So I added a link on page 19 and uploaded a new version.

If you've already downloaded a copy, this MAF Location in a turbo conversion DRAW or BLOW, and a revison history on the last page were the only changes made.

Oh yea, its no longer read-only. What was I thinking? Who cares!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Aye Bill, perhaps i will try to write a chapter on "financial responsibility" so you can add it in. Maybe after my finals this week

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Galo @ Apr 26 2008, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
"A ZZ engine's ECU will allow power to build until something lets go." Is that true? So, I can bore the MAF, switch to larger inj's, deck the block or/and shave the head, get more aggressive cams and the ECU will keep up?

Thank you!![/b]
Haha! Um short answer = No!

Remember, I wrote that for those new to the ZZ engine family. Some of which may have experience with F.I. on other vehicles. Its often the case when overboosting a factory turbo or on F.I conversions that electronic countermeasures have to be deployed to overcome factory ECU safeguards. Its a well known problem and the aftermarket has multple solutions.
For example http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/hks-fue...yota-p-599.html.

All factory turbo's and many N.A. cars equiped with a 1-bar MAP sensor will cut fuel and/or timing and possibly enter safe-mode whenever more than a preset amount of manifold pressure is detected. On some N.A. engines this happens as low as 1-2psi of boost. No fun.

The ZZ engine ECU's have no such built in safeguards because they are unaware of manifold pressure. Wth a piggyback and supporting mods such as a fueling system, the ZZ's can be boosted until something internal breaks. The ECU wont be the limiting factor.

This does not mean they have a wide range of adjustability as the ZZ ECU's can only compensate adequately for bolt-on N.A. mods. But this they do quite well due to the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nvis @ Apr 27 2008, 03:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The people on Newcelica.org should also be enlightened with some of this information, I don't know if you post there, but would suggest you do. If you don't want to, then I'll gladly do it.
[/b]
Feel free. I sure dont care if anyone cross posts this. Is not like I came up with any of it myself.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kevin Beane @ May 4 2008, 04:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The filename is mangled up with special characters, so I just renamed it as I downloaded.[/b]
Yes, thats norbal. Free filesharing service cant handle apostrophes, asterisks or other special characters and you'll have to click skip past multiple ads....

Just do as you did and FILE --> SAVE AS

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Oh, very nice. I'll print this out and keep it in my "library" (the bathroom). Too bad I won't be able to click the links.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I work in desktop publishing a lot so I was forced convert your TOC to an autoupdated one.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bmann @ May 11 2008, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I work in desktop publishing a lot so I was forced convert your TOC to an autoupdated one.
[/b]
Just remember your reading automotive advice from someone whose not a mechanic, written by someone whose not a writer....

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frogger @ May 13 2008, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nice write up WTS. As a Spyder "noob", it was both informative and interesting to read.

A friendly suggestion is to make it even more professional by converting the Word document to a PDF. There are quite a few free online converters such as this -> http://www.expresspdf.com/ConvertWordToPdf.aspx.

Again, great work![/b]
I was hoping others would make contributions so its better if people are able to easily edit it.

Made a couple small changes myself.
05/18/08 Add link to 2ZZ MMC Liners on page 2

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Nice write up, obvious you put a lot of work into it.

I was kind of scratching my head in the part where you said, "Turbo boost is a function of engine load so it can be controlled by the drivers right foot. S/C boost is a function of engine RPM only." Maybe you didn't mean it how it sounds, but it doesn't sound right.

A S/C's boost is controlled through load by using one's right foot as well, just like a turbo; in other words, you aren't going to be cruising along at 4000 rpm, holding 10 pounds of boost whether you are at 10% throttle or WOT. With superchargers, max boost is either achievable directly from idle with near WOT (i.e. twin screw) or boost builds linearly through the entire rpm band at near WOT and doesn't achieve max until very high in the rpm band (i.e. centrifugal). With a turbo, full boost is achievable at some mid way rpm point with near WOT.

With any type of forced induction, whenever the engine is in the rpm range where it can make full boost, it will not do so until the throttle is opened to some arbitrary "near WOT" position (around 70% in the case of my turbo setup) up to WOT. At closed throttle, it will make zero boost and at any point between closed and that arbitrary position for full boost, boost builds incrementally as long as it is in the proper rpm range.

So...I just wanted to say maybe that part should be clarified.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingspyder @ Jun 17 2008, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
boost builds linearly through the entire rpm band at near WOT and doesn't achieve max until very high in the rpm band .
[/b]
Thanks for the feedback. Superchargers arent something I have first-hand expereince with so its all book learnin'. It refers to the linear centrifugal's because they seem to be the most popular around here as opposed to the positive displacement units with their turbo-like boost characterstics.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Just saw this a few days ago but one thing i have a question about.....

"In the quest for power, an engine swap is a natural first thought. Many successful N.A. swaps have been performed. In terms of skill and cost they range from the reasonable Toyota 2ZZ-GE, to the not so reasonable 3MZ-FE to the totally foreign 240hp Honda F20."

Are you referring to the F20 as that it has not been done or are you thinking of the K20 swap?

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (drummerdawg @ Sep 24 2008, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Are you referring to the F20 as that it has not been done or are you thinking of the K20 swap?[/b]
Ding! DING!! DING!!!! We have a winner folks!
Yes, thats meant to be the K20 CIVIC but I thought, WTH, they're both Honda engines lets see how long it takes anyone to notice the S2000 motor typo!!

That is the only intentional gaff in the doc. The rest of the mistakes are just that.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I wanted to add some information in here for reference, you can include it in your next revision if you'd like WTS.

I have the PE 525cc injectors that MWR sells on their website, but they don't appear in the Power Quest document. Visually, they are light blue color and look identical to the Blitz/WRX injectors (from the pictures I've seen), they may just be rebranded as so many Japanese companies like to do.

PE calls them "550cc" injectors, part# TH550A-C and their lag time is 1.1 ms (for reference the Blitz 525's lag time is supposedly .99 ms). I found out from Matt at MWR that the PE injectors are actually 525's despite what PE's website says. Hopefully, this info can save someone else the trouble of having to go look for it.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Contributions added!
Thanks KingSpyder

The changes are of the "continious improvement" variety but for those interested in what KS had to say about fueling, ignition, tuning and MAF's download the DOC and scan for the red bits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kevin Beane @ May 4 2008, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I downloaded this last week and couldn't open the file. Tried again today and no problem. The filename is mangled up with special characters, so I just renamed it as I downloaded.

Nice work. That's going to be very helpful to a lot of folks.[/b]
hey Kevin would you mind emailing me the file?i cant seem to download it... my email is [email protected]

thanks!

21 - 40 of 75 Posts
About this Discussion
74 Replies
43 Participants
Mink
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing