MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I punched it in first and wound it up to redline, upshifted into second, punched it again and then for a split second it felt like the car lost all power but then it took off again and I had no power steering and my P/S light was on on the dash. I continued on to my destination without power steering and actually I liked the way it handled with no PS.
When I stopped I checked the belt and the PS pulley to make sure the belt was ok and seated on the pulley. Everything looked OK. I was going to check the PS fluid, but you need tools to take off the cover in the frunk to get to the PS reservoir.
When I restarted the car about one hour later then P/S light was off and I had power steering again.
I haven't check the reservoir yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just need something to poke with to remove the front plastics. I usually use a small allen key. Be careful not to push too hard or you'll break the fasteners. I'd check the p/s fuses, fluid level, and connections/ grounding. Not sure why the p/s would come back on after parking but I would conaider looking into how to clean out the dc motor side of the pump if i were you. When carbon/ graphite dust builds up in there it can intermittently stop the pump from working, until It's permanent.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We don't have a PS belt or pulley. It's an electric motor powering the pump up front. Just a heads up.
hey thnx, i didn't even know the ps was electric. never had an occasion to check it, but i will now. i see there are some threads on how to clean it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts