MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I punched it in first and wound it up to redline, upshifted into second, punched it again and then for a split second it felt like the car lost all power but then it took off again and I had no power steering and my P/S light was on on the dash. I continued on to my destination without power steering and actually I liked the way it handled with no PS.
When I stopped I checked the belt and the PS pulley to make sure the belt was ok and seated on the pulley. Everything looked OK. I was going to check the PS fluid, but you need tools to take off the cover in the frunk to get to the PS reservoir.
When I restarted the car about one hour later then P/S light was off and I had power steering again.
I haven't check the reservoir yet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just need something to poke with to remove the front plastics. I usually use a small allen key. Be careful not to push too hard or you'll break the fasteners. I'd check the p/s fuses, fluid level, and connections/ grounding. Not sure why the p/s would come back on after parking but I would conaider looking into how to clean out the dc motor side of the pump if i were you. When carbon/ graphite dust builds up in there it can intermittently stop the pump from working, until It's permanent.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We don't have a PS belt or pulley. It's an electric motor powering the pump up front. Just a heads up.
hey thnx, i didn't even know the ps was electric. never had an occasion to check it, but i will now. i see there are some threads on how to clean it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Was the road dry or were there puddles and/or rain? I ask because I once drove my 2005 Spyder through kind of a deep puddle and a light came on (I think it was the ABS light, but I don't remember for sure). It stayed on for a little while, then went out by itself later that day. I never had any trouble with it again. I suspect something got splashed just right, got a little wet, and sent a faulty signal until it went out.

I've had similar issues once or twice with spurious indications in my wife's 2014 Malibu during or immediately after driving in heavy downpours.

Just something to consider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts