MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought my dream car...MR2 spyder, and the power steering was very stiff. I located the pump under the bonnet, and cleaned it. The motor was about half full of dust. It sprang to life, I was so happy! For about 2 days, so I removed it again, and took a closer look. The commutator is worn badly. Some of where the brushes contact are ok, most are half worn or totally gone. I tried to clean them, but they were coming off. Here's a pic. I'm considering a radical fix: Replace it with a (normal) power steering from another 1ZZ pump from a corolla/Matrix, and routing lines to and from the rack in the front, and mounting a reservoir near the new pump. This is my alternative to buying an expensive, used part. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Chiropractor Long Beach MS

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
...Replace it with a (normal) power steering from another 1ZZ pump ...

... This is my alternative to buying an expensive, used part...
I don't think that it will work the way that you would want it to. The OE power steering has an adaptive control system that allows it to step aside when you are driving at speed.

The brushes are expendables, and should be replaced. You may be able to restore the commutator by turning it on a lathe. More broadly, I think that if you can't even afford to fix the power steering on a 20 year old car, you are heading for a disappointment.

·
Registered
854 Posts
It won't work properly, the feel of the steering will be wrong, and you will spend more doing it improperly than sourcing a good used electric pump.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
OK, you your advise is "you don't THINK it will work, and I can't afford to maintain the car" Thanks. Maybe someone else can give me some actual advice. I've already sourced the part, but don't want to buy an expensive used part.
Of course it will work. You just need to have enough skill to fabricate a high pressure line that goes from the back to the front, and maybe a pressure relief valve or actuator to cut pressure when it is not needed. A priori there is no reason it will not work; after all the a/c high pressure line goes all the way from the back to the front, unlike FWD cars. But compared to the cost of picking up a used pump from salvage or someone's part out, both very cheap, I don't know that your solution has any economic merit. For example, I would sell you my used pump for $150 plus shipping.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
OK, you your advise is "you don't THINK it will work, and I can't afford to maintain the car" Thanks. Maybe someone else can give me some actual advice. I've already sourced the part, but don't want to buy an expensive used part.
It is possible it would work, I have no idea how well it would work or the amount of effort required to make it work, expense and what difference in driving feel it would have. Personally I would fine a used pump motor then look into getting the original repaired as a spare.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pull the shaft and send out the motor/ shaft to get new brushes fitted, the commutator replaced or lathed, and the mic undercut if relevant. I dont know the cost compared to the used one offered here, but that would hopefully fix yours

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pull the shaft and send out the motor/ shaft to get new brushes fitted, the commutator replaced or lathed, and the mic undercut if relevant. I dont know the cost compared to the used one offered here, but that would hopefully fix yours
Just for curiosity, i sent out for a quote from precision electric. Ill update you all with what price they come back with. I dont think buying a operational used pump is a bad idea. Also, I'm sure you could make a retrofit work. You probably saw my thread, But I was fortunate enough that a simple cleaning resolved my issues.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you RIA. I really appreciate it. I went to two shops here locally, one sent me away rudely (they only do AC motors), the other said it was too far gone for them to fix. It was a young guy and maybe he didn't know, I may try their main shop 2 towns away today though. ( auto electric, I think they rebuild starters and alternators) I've found one pump for $250 about an hour and a half away I think 30 day warranty. I was going to go buy it today, but the weather is bad here so I may wait til Tuesday.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thank you RIA. I really appreciate it. I went to two shops here locally, one sent me away rudely (they only do AC motors), the other said it was too far gone for them to fix.
  1. First place i sent out for a quote refused the job, saying they have a $300 minimum. I just sent out for a quote from cp electric. Anyways, buying a used unut is def not a bad idea but eventually we're gonna have to find alternatives (repair or retrofit) unless we want to buy new ubits from toyota which are prob old stock in finite amount. Ill let you know if I hear back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exactly RIA. Those pumps aren't going to last forever. They remind me of a trolling motor, and are pretty much a hydraulic pump like the trim motor on my large outboard. These are ALL destined to need replacement eventually like a starter or alternator. MR2 owners may want to consider alternatives, and my "regular" pump idea may be one of them. In case yall didn't know people are also buying them up in order to have power steering on rat rods and electric vehicle conversions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK. I bit the bullet. On Thursday I drove 150 miles to pay $284 for the damn pump. It came from a salvage yard in Mobile Alabama. I'll be putting it in today. We'll see what happens. The part's got a 30 day warranty, but from the looks of the place, and the way they acted, I'd be surprised they'd follow through. What power steering fluid are you guys recommending?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
The Toyota fluid is no longer available, it is suggested here to try Nissan fluid. If you do a search there is a thread about it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
OK. I bit the bullet. On Thursday I drove 150 miles to pay $284 for the damn pump. It came from a salvage yard in Mobile Alabama. I'll be putting it in today. We'll see what happens. The part's got a 30 day warranty, but from the looks of the place, and the way they acted, I'd be surprised they'd follow through. What power steering fluid are you guys recommending?
I'M currently running the pentosin chf fluid because it was available locally. However, from the analysis in the thread carlbecker reccomended, the nissan stuff is closest to our oem. I am not making a reccomendation. I just did what was fastest because it's my daily.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, everything's together and back to normal. The commutator's a little rough with gouged lines, but more life than before (how much I don't know).
That's what I bought yesterday, a pentosin replacement that was electro/hydro compatible here locally at O'Reiley's
here's what the inside of the "NEW" pump looked like. Which is one of the main reasons of an alternative route, not that I can't afford my car like what his face said.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts