MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I part out spyders. I have many parts to sell. Look in the classified section, on facebook or ebay.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Some people have gone to manual steering. It is a lot of work to handle the wheel for parking or sharp turning, but there is essentially no difference on the road. When my PS was out, I found the car unpleasant to drive daily. For a track car it wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Track spyders without power steering suck. I have driven a couple. Having to steer a spyder on larger sticky tires fast gets tiring quick. Not to mention lap times end up being slower.

·
Registered
866 Posts
If you get the brushes changed before they wear all the way down and start to damage the rotor, a motor like this can last a looooong time.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
That is a good point. The brushes themselves are graphite, and probably all of the damage happens after they wear down to the carriers. I wonder what a good service interval would be? 50k? 100k? I just got a new pump at 115k, but that was because the controller failed. It would not even read out codes.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Last one I disassembled had the commutators worn thru down to the Bakelite. The brushes were still good.
Well, that is strange. Any chance that they were not the original brushes? Are the brushes actually graphite? Do they have any mounting parts embedded in them?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought my dream car...MR2 spyder, and the power steering was very stiff. I located the pump under the bonnet, and cleaned it. The motor was about half full of dust. It sprang to life, I was so happy! For about 2 days, so I removed it again, and took a closer look. The commutator is worn badly. Some of where the brushes contact are ok, most are half worn or totally gone. I tried to clean them, but they were coming off. Here's a pic. I'm considering a radical fix: Replace it with a (normal) power steering from another 1ZZ pump from a corolla/Matrix, and routing lines to and from the rack in the front, and mounting a reservoir near the new pump. This is my alternative to buying an expensive, used part. Thank you in advance for any advice.
View attachment 75193
Chiropractor Long Beach MS
Are there any shops around that rebuild generators? I recall having an old marine generators rebuilt and rewound?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Are there any shops around that rebuild generators? I recall having an old marine generators rebuilt and rewound?
If by generator you mean alternator, yes, there are plenty of alternator and starter rebuild shops, in fact, there is one around the corner from my shop, it's where I take all my alternators and starters for rebuild. Sometimes there is a cost saving over and OEM part and other times it's the quickest option for a hard-to-source special order unit.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Frank the numbers for the brushes are for the mk2, they also fit the mk3?

We removed the pump assembly and cleaned out the housing and armature. We put the wave washer in the motor housing holding it opening up and just dropped the motor in. The hardest part was the Hi pressure line. We lost a little fluid and had to add a couple of ounces. It took about 1 hr farting around. The brushes where about 25% worn the spyder has about 160k on it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
If by generator you mean alternator, yes, there are plenty of alternator and starter rebuild shops...
Generators and DC motors both use brushes and commutators to change the polarity of the DC field in the armature.

Alternators use slip rings to change the polarity in the armature fields.

So, they are different animals and should be described as such, but any shop that rebuilds one type should be able to rebuild the other type.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Automobiles largely switched over to alternators in the 1960's. What are you driving, a Model T? Ha ha.
You missed the entire point, a DC motor and generator are basically the same so asking if an electric shop repairs a generator it is the same as asking if the repairs a dc motor, which our cars do have.

Oh, and since your sarcasm attitude is showing, show me a 1960's Model T...

🤪

21 - 40 of 47 Posts