MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
02 MR2 Spyder
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried to order new power steering pump , out a stock, was all most $700, new , found a used one for $299, 20 years old, didnt want to go that way , and take a chance , any one have a good one they know is good ? price with shipping ? what do you have , ship to 16428 Thanks !

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I don’t think age is a big factor. It’s usually the electric motor that wears out, and that’s dependent only on run-time (miles). If you get a used motor, it’ll be good to remove the metal canister and blow out all the carbon dust from the brushes. You can inspect the commutator for wear while it’s apart. I hope you can find a low mileage pump.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,591 Posts
I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but there are now aftermarket solutions that use direct drive motors on the shaft. There is plenty of clearance up front for one.

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
214 Posts
Here is a full assembly w/ pump for $578.

Just so you know, Toyota doesn't make the fluid recommended anymore. SpyderChat did the oil analysis to determine the best substitute here. I went with the Nissan E-PSF and if you clean your commutator check this thread.

Good Luck!

Reactions: franky

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,591 Posts
Nahh, it's a kit for hot rods. The one for old mustangs is neat. It has a torque sensor built into the mount so the force it applies is proportionate to the torque being applied. Not sure if that one was on Jegs or not. Jegs does have a few options that could be retrofit to the Spyder. Hell the high current fuse is already there for the existing pump!

Point is there are dozens of direct drive electric assist stearing options in the hot rod market. This is something that has been solved for many years in the MoPar world.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Aftermarket Electric power assist (EPAS) systems look to be $1200 and up. However junkyard parts may be an option. My buddy snagged a system from a Prius for cheap and retrofit it onto his Grumman delivery van. The steering shaft systems would require some extensive modifications. Plus I’m not sure if there is sufficient real estate available in the frunk area around the spyder steering shaft.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,591 Posts
You're off by about $600. There are some even cheaper of you look around for a generic kit with motor and controller.

Case and point a quick Google search finds them in the 600 range. But yes would require quite a bit of rework.

·
Registered
02 MR2 Spyder
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a full assembly w/ pump for $578.

Just so you know, Toyota doesn't make the fluid recommended anymore. SpyderChat did the oil analysis to determine the best substitute here. I went with the Nissan E-PSF and if you clean your commutator check this thread.

Good Luck!
Been trying to order a new one from a lot a toyota dealers , all out a stock, ill try the link, see if they have one in stock, Thanks !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts