MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

We have pre-cats on our MR2:s with the 1,8 l vvt-i engine. This engine is not for just the spyder or am I wrong? Many Toyotas from 2001-2007 have this engine. Are there pre-cats in the other Toyotas? If the pre-cats was installed by Toyota for passing some law in California other cars also at that time had to have the pre-cats. That's what I'm thinking. Are there any reports of pre-cats failing in other Toyotas?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I've always heard that no other Toyota has them, that they put them in the Spyder so that it would qualify as an ultra low emission vehicle. I believe that I also heard that Honda or someone put them in one of their cars years ago.

Can't verify any of this, just stuff I've heard.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
yes the spyder was the guinea pig for precats its like playing russian roulette with your engine gut them to keep your sanity and for peace of mind they are only effective for a few minutes on warm up than are a useless restriction on exhaust flow happy motoring :lol:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
The Spyder had a Few Firsts..

SMT..
And the Drive-By-Wire Throttle Control..
Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering...
Pre-Cats..

When this Engine is Fitted into other Toyotas.. No Pre-Cats.. that was Only for the Spyder Experiment..

I believe the RAV-4 also has Precats..

I Know the Grand Vitara '02 has Pre-Cats.. as I had to weld them back to the Manifold when they Cracked off..

Cap

1 - 4 of 4 Posts