MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 MR2 Spyder, Silver
28 Posts
I'm a new 2002 Spyder owner (39,00 miles) and am confused about what, if anything, to do with the pre-cats. Some say "gut" them, others say leave them alone. Advice please!
Thanks! Best to send to my email, [email protected].
John
Howdy! Here's a recent post I had made on that with lots of great advice from the other members. In short, Yes, go ahead and gut them. My suggestion from my experience: soak the bolts in plenty of penetrating oil for days\weeks if you can before starting, and use some heat on each one ahead of breaking them lose. It was a bit of effort but definitely not "hard" to do. New gaskets for the head and the downpipe are recommended after seeing the shape my mine were in with just 66K miles on them at the time.

Thread: Precats - Still A Concern?

Good luck! And also, as a side note, the sound of the exhaust got more pleasant to my ear as a side benefit. It went from a "chainsaw" harshness to a more deep note that is much nicer.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
494 Posts
Every Spyder owner has to make this decision if they are even aware it's something that needs to be considered. I purchased my 03 model with 36k miles on it and chose to gut mine for peace of mind after noticing a little degradation. Maybe it would have been fine but now I don't have to worry it would suddenly self destruct. That was my choice so I wouldn't end up like a local guy this week (see pic). It wasn't a hard process with all the information that is provided on here. Your choice- roll the dice or remove the potential problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Gut them & be done. Any good actuary would tell you to minimize your risk when there's no downside to doing so.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah just gut them. Wear a good mask to prevent any potential asbestos. Also use a hose and keep wet while busting out catalyst. This will keep any potential asbestos from getting airborne.

Also, spend the money and get new gaskets and bolts in case you break one. You can get from Toyota dealer.
I stole this list and used it
Parts you will need:
(1) Engine to Manifold Gasket: Part# 17173-0D020
(2) Manifold to Downpipe Gaskets: Part# 90080-43036
(3) Manifold to Downpipe Nuts: Part# 90080-17187
(5) Engine to Manifold Nuts: Part# 90179-08228
These next two I would at least get a couple even though you may not need.
(5) Engine to Manifold Studs: Part# 90126-08037
(3) Manifold to Downpipe Studs: Part# 90116-10146

Attached are some before and after pics from gutting mine. There is a super good step by step on here “the idiot guide to precat removal” it will walk you through each step. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Yeah just gut them. Wear a good mask to prevent any potential asbestos. Also use a hose and keep wet while busting out catalyst. This will keep any potential asbestos from getting airborne.
!
FWIW precats don't have asbestos, they have various heavy metals which are hazardous & require a respirator, not a painter's mask, for proper protection.

·
Registered
Black 2002 Spyder with 2ZZ & 6speed <\3
37 Posts
I'm a new 2002 Spyder owner (39,00 miles) and am confused about what, if anything, to do with the pre-cats. Some say "gut" them, others say leave them alone. Advice please!
Thanks! Best to send to my email, [email protected].
John
Would gut them for sure, 5 bolts on top, 3 on the bottom. You can reuse the gaskets and bolts, i've had no issues. They can break if they haven't been "opened" or loosn'd since factory.
Will make more noise, you'll gain half a horsepower and your engine is less likely to blow up. Win Win.

·
Registered
26 Posts
FWIW precats don't have asbestos, they have various heavy metals which are hazardous & require a respirator, not a painter's mask, for proper protection.
Correct. The catalysts themselves are made of precious metals but the insulation layers between the heavy metals used to contain asbestos. Asbestos is a great insulator and that’s why it worked so great in popcorn ceilings back in the day and in exhaust systems that get very hot. That white “fluffy” material that comes out when you bust up the actual precious metal (honeycomb) could contain asbestos.

Obviously this isn’t a problem anymore with regulation changes just like popcorn ceiling. Asbestos stayed around in insulation in cars way past houses. Up to and around spyder production range. It’s not worth the risk in my opinion.

I work in quality engineering for a global tier 1 automotive supplier and we make manifolds and exhaust systems for several OEMs. Anytime we are getting back an older part we protect ourselves accordingly.

Maybe Spyders don’t but unless you know the supplier of the catalyst (BASF or others) and know exactly the composition of the insulation I think it’s better to be safe than sorry. Asbestos is no joke.

not trying to be an ass or argue. I just want Spyder owners to be safe and cautious. There aren’t enough of us as it is. Lol.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Correct. The catalysts themselves are made of precious metals but the insulation layers between the heavy metals used to contain asbestos. Asbestos is a great insulator and that’s why it worked so great in popcorn ceilings back in the day and in exhaust systems that get very hot. That white “fluffy” material that comes out when you bust up the actual precious metal (honeycomb) could contain asbestos.

Obviously this isn’t a problem anymore with regulation changes just like popcorn ceiling. Asbestos stayed around in insulation in cars way past houses. Up to and around spyder production range. It’s not worth the risk in my opinion.

I work in quality engineering for a global tier 1 automotive supplier and we make manifolds and exhaust systems for several OEMs. Anytime we are getting back an older part we protect ourselves accordingly.

Maybe Spyders don’t but unless you know the supplier of the catalyst (BASF or others) and know exactly the composition of the insulation I think it’s better to be safe than sorry. Asbestos is no joke.

not trying to be an ass or argue. I just want Spyder owners to be safe and cautious. There aren’t enough of us as it is. Lol.
I definitely agree to use more/better PPE because whether asbestos or heavy metals there is no "better" poison. Respirator, not a painter's mask is a must. No arguments here

Reactions: Dirtgrub
1 - 12 of 12 Posts