MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, new to the group, but looking for some assistance. I have a new to me 2000 model, and am looking to source the pieces parts needed to make it an E Street AutoX car. I am looking for possible used parts, as well as new never installed pieces as well.

Some of the items on my list, are Koni inserts, Whiteline or Addco front swaybar, and possibly a decent set of 200 tw tires in 205/50/15 of any manufacture, just for setup purposes.

There are several other items I know of, but they are lower cost items I have found available from the same vendors where I've purchased my AW11 parts in the past. Really any help in my search would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I may have a full PPE header and exhaust system for sale very soon for the 1ZZ engine, to help pay for some of the parts needed.
This is the car as it sits currently...
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

Registered
2000 MR2 Spyder, Silver
Howdy! Nothing real helpful to say, and a bit off-topic, but I am doing the same with my recently acquired silver 2000 Spyder as well 馃憤 I am excited to be running in Street class this year finally, coming from STX. I've only done basic maintenance mods to get it "stable", reliable, and safe. Upgraded pads to EBC Greenstuff and fluid to EBC DOT4 (new brake hoses too), and man what a difference on-course!

Good luck with your build! I'm currently trying to get some decent 200tw tires but the A052's seem to be out of stock, so I might end up with Direzza D3's for this season unfortunately.

Here's a quick, crummy, dashcam video of my fastest run at my last event if you are interested to see what these little cars can do even on 740tw tires 馃槅

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy! Nothing real helpful to say, and a bit off-topic, but I am doing the same with my recently acquired silver 2000 Spyder as well 馃憤 I am excited to be running in Street class this year finally, coming from STX. I've only done basic maintenance mods to get it "stable", reliable, and safe. Upgraded pads to EBC Greenstuff and fluid to EBC DOT4 (new brake hoses too), and man what a difference on-course!

Good luck with your build! I'm currently trying to get some decent 200tw tires but the A052's seem to be out of stock, so I might end up with Direzza D3's for this season unfortunately.

Here's a quick, crummy, dashcam video of my fastest run at my last event if you are interested to see what these little cars can do even on 740tw tires 馃槅

I've actually driven a 2ZZ powered Spyder in XSB class previously, so know it's a good chassis, just hoping to get alignment specs for the most part. I know pretty well what works best with an AW, but these cars have a much different suspension geometry, so don't wanna go the wrong direction on setup.
Thanks for the reply and for the video as well..

Registered
The only thing I don't have for mine is the Konis, since I am going the coilovers/kswap/XSB route soon. From my 1.5 year experience so far, by far the biggest thing is tires: having 200tw is probably 60-70% of the performance advantage of a prepped ES car vs a stock MR-S. I found some NB Miata wheels with 4 year old used 200tw 195s and I can normally win ES by 0.5 seconds if I don't cone.

The front sway bar helps keep the car composed, but it's not a super noticeable change. If you get one, I think you should look into door bushings (can be bought on this forum) since the front of the car will stay flat but the rear of the car will want to roll.

If you're not trying to win right out of the gate, it's okay to drive it as is to see what the car is lacking the most.

Registered
For tires don't count out Falken RT660's. They may not be A052's or Rival S level, but they are not too far off.

Wheels are always a SOB to piece together, as its a weird size. You could always go +/1 1" in diameter but width is fixed (6", 6.5).

The front sway bar may be the most noticeable improvement besides tires. The bigger the better. Go Addco @ 1" or bigger bars if you can find and afford them(Paul Brown, Saner, custom etc.)

Pick up a set of 4 Toyota 2 dot crash bolts for the front. Loosen the suspension parts and pry to get the most camber out of the front. Rear just loosen and pry as well. you can only use crash bolts on one end of the car. you may be able to get close to -2 degrees of camber front and rear.

Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing I don't have for mine is the Konis, since I am going the coilovers/kswap/XSB route soon. From my 1.5 year experience so far, by far the biggest thing is tires: having 200tw is probably 60-70% of the performance advantage of a prepped ES car vs a stock MR-S. I found some NB Miata wheels with 4 year old used 200tw 195s and I can normally win ES by 0.5 seconds if I don't cone.

The front sway bar helps keep the car composed, but it's not a super noticeable change. If you get one, I think you should look into door bushings (can be bought on this forum) since the front of the car will stay flat but the rear of the car will want to roll.

If you're not trying to win right out of the gate, it's okay to drive it as is to see what the car is lacking the most.
Yeah I plan on driving it as is for now, but will probably get lumped into Street Prepared or worse, due to car having a full PPE header, center pipe, and muffler. Plus my current wheel and tire setup is all leftover from my AW11 STS car, so it's 15x7 with 200tw Federals. Actually hoping to find a buyer for the PPE exhaust and use that cash for the Koni inserts and Whiteline front bar, maybe a few other items if enough cash flows my way.

I am still debating on tires, but leaning toward RT660's, but with the new Nexen just dropping, it sounds promising as well. Really feel like this car has a lot of potential right out of the box, one of the best power to weight cars I've had in quite a while.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For tires don't count out Falken RT660's. They may not be A052's or Rival S level, but they are not too far off.

Wheels are always a SOB to piece together, as its a weird size. You could always go +/1 1" in diameter but width is fixed (6", 6.5).

The front sway bar may be the most noticeable improvement besides tires. The bigger the better. Go Addco @ 1" or bigger bars if you can find and afford them(Paul Brown, Saner, custom etc.)

Pick up a set of 4 Toyota 2 dot crash bolts for the front. Loosen the suspension parts and pry to get the most camber out of the front. Rear just loosen and pry as well. you can only use crash bolts on one end of the car. you may be able to get close to -2 degrees of camber front and rear.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info, I may just use my factory alloys since they fit the bill for size. And you are the second person to recommend the Addco bar, so that means a lot in my opinion, it will be the one for me.

I was already looking at RT660's, but also considering some of the newcomers from Nankang and Nexen, never cared much for the Rivals. The alignment setup was always an issue with the AW, so I really want to get it right with this car...

Registered
Yeah I plan on driving it as is for now, but will probably get lumped into Street Prepared or worse, due to car having a full PPE header, center pipe, and muffler. Plus my current wheel and tire setup is all leftover from my AW11 STS car, so it's 15x7 with 200tw Federals. Actually hoping to find a buyer for the PPE exhaust and use that cash for the Koni inserts and Whiteline front bar, maybe a few other items if enough cash flows my way.

I am still debating on tires, but leaning toward RT660's, but with the new Nexen just dropping, it sounds promising as well. Really feel like this car has a lot of potential right out of the box, one of the best power to weight cars I've had in quite a while.
Looks more like an STR car. It will be a better PAX than street prepared.
You'll be chasing those pesky ND's That's where I run. ES is fun but I like to tinker with the car and STR allows alot more to be done.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks more like an STR car. It will be a better PAX than street prepared.
You'll be chasing those pesky ND's That's where I run. ES is fun but I like to tinker with the car and STR allows alot more to be done.
I've always enjoyed the Stock (Street) class, actually won couple Club championships in E Stock, D Stock, with a few FTD's back in the day. After racing W2W for many years, I have been transitioning back to autocross, over the past few years I raced the '85 AW in STS, and have been working on another '85 D Prepared car. Well long story short this car just kinda dropped in my lap, so I've put the DP car on the back burner and plan on enjoying this car for now...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts