MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While swapping my 5 speed for the celica 6 speed I decided to try and fix the oil leaks. Here is the history.. used engine 2zz on stand. I cleaned everything and replaced all the seals. Engine showed evidence of small leaks. 4 months later the dreaded oil puddle under the half shaft. Then sling all over the clean engine bay. I removed the cover (what a pain) changed seals and retired the packing seal stuff. 6 months later.. leak was worse. Now with the 5 speed out to put in the 6 speed I held the engine by a lift so I can move it for easier access. Now getting ready for the third attempt. Got all factory seals and toyota seal packing stuff... any tips? I do not want to do this again. But I am getting good at taking this thing apart. Oil sludge is everywhere so not 100percent sure where it was leaking. Was getting on the serpentine belt. So maybe leaking everywhere.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I assume that the seal you replaced was the timing chain gasket and seal. Have you inspected the timing cover itself to make sure that it does not have any cracks? I too have a new drip and cannot determine is exact location. In my research here on SC, I came across an old post where the OP determined that, after several attempts at repair replace he discovered he actually had a small crack in his timing chain cover.

Another item I checked for was if my CV was leaking from a small hole and the spatter and 'oil' was actualily less viscous (watered down /heated) CV grease. That want the case, but is a plausible issue.

Good luck

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,812 Posts
Then sling all over the clean engine bay.
If it slings sludge all over the engine bay then you need to check the CV joint boots on your axles. My guess would be the inner boot on the passenger side (US). That is usually the culprit for that kind of mess.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have all new cv shafts when I did the swap. So I know those are good. I did hear non factory toyota seals leak more. I bought toyota ones this time. I have the entire timing cover off now. Still cleaning up my once perfect engine bay. I will check again where the seal packing goes. I bought the toyota factory one. I will check for cracks in the timing cover. That might be reasonable it did come from a wrecked vehicle. If this does not work I guess just get cases of oil. My other car is a jeep.. so everyone will just assume the oil stains are from that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Important toys
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing