MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

made a quick search on my problem but did not find any answers so if they are out there call me lazy :)

well I have a oil pressure gauge from autometer, I have had it for some time and it has never worked, but there is no problem with the engine so I figured that the sensor was damaged or something,
I the bought a new sensor and gauge from the same company, not tested it and the sensor shows no reading, my sensor is contected to a aftermarket block next to the oilfilter and before my oilcooler,

have I conected the sensor in the wrong place and sould it be mounted with a tee at the same place that we usally tee for the oil picup on a turbo spyder?

ps. I have double checked all the cords so they are installed properly.

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
Maybe the plate you have it connected to is blocked?

I have mine connected to the tee where turbo feed is connected.

I did have it on a sandwich plate above the oil filter and it worked fine.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe the plate you have it connected to is blocked?

I have mine connected to the tee where turbo feed is connected.

I did have it on a sandwich plate above the oil filter and it worked fine.
maybe? I will remove it and have it checkt, but maybe I will move the sensor to the tee where the turbo feed is conected as you mentioned!?

if this does not work what can be the problem ? as I said before the engine works fine with out any problems so maybe it is just the sanwdwich plate that is the problem!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sender unit is sensitive to pressure. Any type of pressure. If you could rig it up to a source of compressed air, you could compare the oil pressure gauge reading with the compressed air pressure.
If you get no reading, the sensor (or gauge) is bad.
If you do get a reading, you have chosen a bad location on the engine.

If you get a reading and it doesn't match the air pressure, you have a calibration problem (in addition to the one you posted about).
I bought a brand new sensor, it had the same issue, I will try to conect it too the firewall this weekend and hopefully it will work .

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it short sweep with a single wire sender or full sweep with a 3 wire sender? The senders work differently.

I literally diagnose these all day for customers at Auto Meter.

Feel free to call me at work directly at (866)248-6357. Ask for Kevin. I'm there M-F 8:30-5pm CST.
It is a singel wire sender from the ultra lite range, I have 2more of these for oil temp and boost, they work fine , I tested all the wires and a new sender, so maybe it is just the placement that doesn't work for me?

thanks mate :D

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
i have my autometer gauge sensors running to a sandwich plate between the pan and oil filter. oil pressure and oil temp both work great.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
It is a singel wire sender from the ultra lite range, I have 2more of these for oil temp and boost, they work fine , I tested all the wires and a new sender, so maybe it is just the placement that doesn't work for me?

thanks mate :D
The body of the sender has to be grounded. Are you using a stainless line to remote mount it, or is it something else?

Disconnect the sender wire at the sender, and measure the resistance between the terminal and the body of the sender. At 0psi it should be 250ohms +/-10. Also measure this with the engine running. You should see lower resistance with higher pressure. Let me know what resistance readings you get with the car off and with it idling.

If you do see correct readings, connect the sender wire again and take a wire and touch it from the engine to the sender body. See what your gauge does while the engine is running. If it reads correct, then the sender just needed to be grounded.

It is also very important with these short sweep gauges that the gauge is grounded directly to the engine (as big of a pain as that is for MR owners)

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
The sender unit is sensitive to pressure. Any type of pressure. If you could rig it up to a source of compressed air, you could compare the oil pressure gauge reading with the compressed air pressure.
If you get no reading, the sensor (or gauge) is bad.
If you do get a reading, you have chosen a bad location on the engine.

If you get a reading and it doesn't match the air pressure, you have a calibration problem (in addition to the one you posted about).
Keep in mind that when doing this, the sender needs to be grounded. The single wire pressure sensors vary resistance to ground based on pressure. If there is no ground to the threads/body of the sender, you will have no reading regardless.

You can do what OldMan said if you hook up an ohmmeter from the terminal to the body of the sender with nothing else connected. The ohm value will change with pressure.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep in mind that when doing this, the sender needs to be grounded. The single wire pressure sensors vary resistance to ground based on pressure. If there is no ground to the threads/body of the sender, you will have no reading regardless.

You can do what OldMan said if you hook up an ohmmeter from the terminal to the body of the sender with nothing else connected. The ohm value will change with pressure.
Thakns :)

I will try all of this as soon as possible!
but one question, the sender has to be grounded you say, thru the treads ?
if so can the problem be that the sandwitch adapter is painted and that includes the treads of the sandwitch, this can cause a problem for the ground right?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so today I was in the garage, and I did solve the problem with the oil pressure sender.
I don't no why but I changed the oilpressure sender to the location in the block were I take the oilfeed from and kaboom , oil pressure in the sender! :)

have no idea of why it did not work when conected to the sandwitch adapter near the oil filter,
but no it work and I am so happy about it, only problem now is that the original oil sesor in the block isn't conected since the cable was to short, can i move this sensor too the sandwich adapter and still have the same function? or do I acctualy need this?

Thanks ,

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Ok so today I was in the garage, and I did solve the problem with the oil pressure sender.
I don't no why but I changed the oilpressure sender to the location in the block were I take the oilfeed from and kaboom , oil pressure in the sender! :)

have no idea of why it did not work when conected to the sandwitch adapter near the oil filter,
but no it work and I am so happy about it, only problem now is that the original oil sesor in the block isn't conected since the cable was to short, can i move this sensor too the sandwich adapter and still have the same function? or do I acctualy need this?

Thanks ,
Pretty sure the factory one is just for a light. I removed mine with no ill effects. I am not using a stock computer though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty sure the factory one is just for a light. I removed mine with no ill effects. I am not using a stock computer though.
Well I also think it's just for the light, so this will be no big problem i think.
I am also using the pfc,
I will take a testdrive today and see how it all looks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts