MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - purchased my 03' this past April with 66,000 miles and good service records. It seemed to be running fine until October, when the engine took a crap on me. Toyota said it was beyond repair and quoted me 13k for a new engine/cat replacement - 8500 for used. I obviously had a local shop give me a second opinion, and they said it wasn't as bad and could be rebuilt. All in all, they had my car off and on for the better part of three months, and I ended up paying them $4200 for labor, cylinder head, rings, head gasket, and a couple other things. My problem is that I just got it back two days ago, and there is a ticking noise coming from the engine, it's getting poorer mileage, doesn't have as much power as I remember, and I might be wrong, but I think my rpm's are up. I had a friend quickly check it out, and he said he's pretty sure it's the valves that need to be adjusted. Does this sound right? Please help!! I'm not too sharp with engine related issues, but this is forcing me to educate myself!

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
SOOOOO Many things come to mind..

4K$ to SOMEONE ELSE and you still are asking for help.. and Not happy..

Don't pay Someone else to Rebuild on a 1ZZ.. Do a Wrecked Motor..

OK.. I'll Stop bagging Now.. and on to the Problems..

Need to check the Exhaust pressure on the Main Cat.. Use a Compression tester Screwed into the O2 Sensor Hole of the Precat.. Take the Car for a Run to WOT in 2Nd gear, then shut it off.. Look at the Pressure on the gauge.. should be less than 15 PSI..

If the Pressure is less then that.. the Exhaust pressure is 'Normal'..

Do a Compression Check.. Of the Engine.. Post the Numbers..

Lift off the Cam Cover, and Check Valve Timing.. Might be off by a Tooth..

Sorry you got screwed in this deal..

Cap

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cap. I just called the shop (I'm ok with breaks and other basic things - not too sharp yet with the engine/exhaust), and they agreed this isn't acceptable and are looking at it this week. I went over your list and am bringing it in for them to look at. I'll have to post as to what happens. Thanks! - Yeah I'm sorry too!

·
Registered
23,068 Posts
Curse of the rebuilt 1ZZ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Reason for initial engine failure - I'm told it's resulting from a plugged cat.

After driving it for a day with this "ticking" noise after the rebuild, the check engine light came on. Error code was regarding valve timing. They fixed that problem but the noise is still there. It almost sounds like a diesel engine when you accelerate, but not terribly loud. The shop is telling me that this sound is normal, and I shouldn't worry about it. Something to do with the pistons.

When they fixed the valve timing issue, they drove the car for a day and the check engine light came on again. This time I think for an actuator problem - not sure how that fits into things. Regardless, for a shop that I've heard nothing but good about, they certainly are having a difficult time even figuring out what the real problems are with this. Just to be clear - should there ever be a ticking noise with this engine? I think I already know the answer, but I'd love some feedback that I can take back to them.

The curse indeed - I want my car back!

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
All engines have noises..

You should not here anything 'Unusual' that you don't here on any other engine..

Piston Noise.. yes that is Normal, for an Engine that was rebuilt Improperly..

Start setting up your Options.. as SOMEONE is going to have to pay for another Engine.. I just hope it's not you..

Cap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts