MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am Trying to 'Somewhat Finish' ( at least round 1 ) Of my Innovate Stuff that was purchased with my LC-1 ( Wideband ).. part of the 'Stuff' was a SSI-4 Input Module, that has the Ability to Calculate and Pass Along Ignition Timing Info. The Timing is Derived from the Sensing of the Crank Sensor ( The Normal One ), and relating that to the 'Fire Pulse' of the #1 Ignition Coil.. It's Kinda Slick.. But the Software ( Innovate ) has Bugs in it and Innovate is not really interested in Finding or fixing it.. ( The Timing Function has the Software Bugs.. Actually it's the 'Firmware' of the SSI-4 that is Defective.. The Result is the Same!. )

After much Fusing and Crying, and Actually using the Innovate Forum ( Yes Kevin, Sometimes you get Lucky! ) I was able to get a Signal to Logworks.. That was a CHALLENGE!..

Now I have to Check the Timing of the Engine, and 'Fine Tune' the Timing Data from the SSI-4 to Logworks..

So here is the Dilemma.. ( or actually, the Next Dilemma ) I went to the BGB, to get the Procedure for checking the Ignition Timing of the 1ZZ engine.. (Pages Em-9 and EM-10 ).. Did that.. Jumpered the OBD2 connector (TC&CG) .. Hooked timing lite to 'Red-Blk Service Wire'.. The Lite is 'Flashing at about 20 Deg Before Top.. The timing should be at 10 deg.. If I unjumper the OBD2 Connector, the Idle Speed comes up to about 900 RPM, and the 'Timing' ( By the Lite ) goes out to about 25 Deg or more.. Now these Deg Marks are just a Guess, cause the 'Placard' is only marked Zero and Ten Deg.. so the 20 I'm getting at 'Base' is a guess.. As is Everything past 10.. When I Jumper the OBD2 Connector, the idle drops to about 500 rpm and the 'Mark' stays steady, by the lite.. it's just not at the 10 mark like it should be.. it's about 20..

The 500 rpm is a 'Steady' rpm.. it's not stumbling or anything.. all seems normal, it's just the mark is in the Wrong Spot..

Any body 'Got-a-Clue?'..

Is it Posable the Outer Ring of the 'Dampener Pulley' has Shifted?.. What ever the problem is.. I need to fix it, cause it won't pass Smog in Ca. if the Timing Marks are Off.. Even if the Timing is Correct.. If the Marks are off, the Tech can't pass it..

Cap

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After figuring 'Something's Wrong'... I Figured I 'Go back to the Basics'.. I popped out the #1 Spark Plug, and Inserted a Drinking Straw, and found Top Dead Center.. and it was Exactly where the Pointer said it was!..

So I measured the Diameter of the Pully, ( 5.312 Dia ).. and figured out what 10 Deg was on the Outside.. .463 inches.. I then made 3 marks on the od of the pully representing 10 deg, 20 deg, and 30 deg.. These marks will line up with the Zero mark on the front cover, and I'll be able to get a Reading on the Timing..

Fired it up!.. Im out past 30 deg.. Way Past.. this aint right..
I then hooked up my lap top and ran PM Scann software, to see where the ECU thinks the Timing is.. PM Scann says 12 Deg.. This aint right..

So if the Timing marks are in the Right place, the Signal I'm using must be Wrong.. I'm using the One Called for in the Book.. Well it's Gotts to be Wrong!..
This is the Wire the Book Calls For

I tried to hook up the Timing lite to the #1 Igniter wires.. No luck..

But I can hook up to the #4 Igniter wires..
I used this..

All the time I left the car running, and read the PM Scann reading.. 12 Deg.. The lite is Flashing at a Little Past 10.. Got It..

I then put in the 'Jumper' in the OBD2 plug.. Disconnected the PM Scann, but this should put the Timing at 10 Deg.. Hit it with the Lite.. 10 Deg.. Got It..

I did some tuning on the SSI-4 Timing input function.. Got it 'Spot On'.. 146.5 deg offset, and from the 'Factory Setting' of the Voltage Output.. Do a Reversal..

I ran the car up to a Fast Idle ( 2.5 k or so ) and I was watching the Timing lite, and my Daughter was watching the Laptop running Log Works.. and We both called out 28 Deg.. So It now Works..

The Book Is Wrong!.. At least as it applies to my Car!

Cap

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
This book is wrong about a lot of things!

For example, the procedure for testing proper operation of the IAC valve.

Good find on this one. We need some kind of documentation or a sticky to collect in one place all the discrepencies with the factory service manual. These kind of mistakes can have us pulling our hair out.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I went to the celica manual to see if there was a difference as that is usually where we find the differences on the exact same engine/tranny. No mention of any jumper wire on the obd2 ports just use the toyota tester. I have used the test wire a couple times but that was to make sure I was getting spark in a no start situation, works great for that. Do the smog refs in California actually put a timing light on the car?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the Timing is to be Checked.. I've seen my '96 ford truck in the Smog Shop getting a Timing lite.. This car has been in for smog, but I've not been there.. BUT I was the First to 'Un-Fold' the Signal Wire, that is to be used for checking the Timing.. So it has not been done in the Past.. perhaps they just 'Read it from the OBD2 Scann' I do not know how 'Legal' that is..

The Smog Cops have been 'Cracking Down' on the 'Under Hood' inspections.. Just because it passes the tail pipe.. it still has to pass the Underhood.. one local smog shop was shut down recently, for passing stuff.. The Kids were the Tecks.. the Dad was the Owner.. The kids were passing stuff 'Dad' did not know about.. They got caught..

So the 'Atmosphere' in the Smog Community is 'Tense'.. Nov when my next smog check is due.. we'll see about this 'Wiring Problem' I have.. The car is sitting at 115k mi now, so I'm out of the 80k Smog warranty.. We'll see

Cap

1 - 6 of 6 Posts