MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Product review Griot's Garage: Black Vinyl Top Reconditioner for fixing banmepleaseyour faded out, old looking vinyl top.

So I purchased it from Griot's Garage direct. It is $14.99 and they charge $5 for shipping. With the amount you will use easy to split with 2 or 3 Spyder owners if you are all local just a good thing to do. Maybe split the gallon sized Toyota red coolant too?

This is before my top is faded and grey. It isn't that bad but it's noticeable. There are some spots that stand out and they blend better after the vinyl dye.

I was quite frugal with the application so probably could do 4-5 tops in this way depending on condition vs the 3-4 they said.

A few after pictures, it is hard to capture the difference in the pictures.

One thing that the kit needs is a smaller sponge. I probably will use a toothbrush or something smaller as an applicator to get to the tight areas like near the drain tube.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My soft top is still in good shape just abit faded, considering it sleeps outside. I need to get me some of this stuff. Great work, u can see a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
now im just wondering how long it will last. let us know how long this lasts rob! it looks like it turned out really really nice. congratz on a job well done :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Can you tell us what you did to prep the top prior to applying the conditioner?
And how long did it take to dry?

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I used this $7 kit from Amazon last summer. I didn't do any prep, just wiped it on. It dried in 10 minutes. So far so good, no peeling or flaking. It filled in all the gray/whitish texture of the convertible top. It sounds like the same size as the Griot's bottle since I used about 1/3 to cover the whole top with two coats. I also used it on the plastic covers by the windshield wipers with good results. They don't look so faded any more.

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
When I had a vinyl top, I used Kiwi shoe polish. Looked good and cheep. Then a couple of days later I used Armour for UV protection.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Your top looks great after the Griots. I've been using 303 AP on my top. It looks nice, just has to be reapplied every few weeks if it rains. Two quick questions:
1. I'm curious to know if the Griots lasts longer (if anyone has used both)
2. Does the Griots leave an oily residue running down the car when it rains

Btw, the deep black color after working on the top makes your yellow paint look so much sharper :cool:

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
Your top looks great after the Griots. I've been using 303 AP on my top. It looks nice, just has to be reapplied every few weeks if it rains. Two quick questions:

Btw, the deep black color after working on the top makes your yellow paint look so much sharper :cool:
The Griot's product in question is a one time treatment dye. It's held up on my car for the last three years. The Griot's vinyl protector is in a similar category as the 303 and it is intended to be used regularly.
In my opinion after having used both I like the Griot's .

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wow woke up to a lot of comments. Thanks guys for the feedback.

I washed the car first regular style just use a microfiber shammie like I always do scrubbed it a bit. I used a brushstroke after I rinsed while it was wet to do a light scrub just a few brush strokes back and forth then spray off then let dry.

After that I used the applicator it came with, it's just a foam piece. With a denser foam as a handle. It actually deteriorates quickly with the rubbing you do on the top when you apply the dye.

That stuff is so 2009. :lol:

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showth...yl-Top-Reconditioner-Review&highlight=Griot's

It's good stuff and it actually held up for the last three years since I used it.
I would not use anything else for this purpose because you may not know if the chemistry is bad for the long run. The Griot's is specially formulated for our style of tops.
Yeah I heard of it on here just thought I would make a review of the product so it is sooooo 2012 :) I also think my before and after pictures show a bigger difference.

I added a few more before pics and an after pic in the 1st post

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
now im just wondering how long it will last. let us know how long this lasts rob! it looks like it turned out really really nice. congratz on a job well done :)
Thanks I'll let you know how it holds up. Supposed to hold up for a long time. I might do a second coat next time I wash the car. But definately get a smaller. Rush out to get into the crevices. Near the bottom edge of the top below rear windshield, de-latch the roof and get the front lip part better, near the side windows and near the drain holes.

Thanks bob I think so also. The yellow looks better. Makes me want to 2 tone the car black on top yellow on bottom. Yellow needs a paint job though and I need new doors anyone got? Lol.

Hasn't rained yet so don't know but from previous feedback like dev said. No it does not and for 2 no does not.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Griots

I used the Griot's top product about a year and a half ago. It looked like a brand new top after use. It still looks very good. There is no runoff or streaking at all. I used it on the cowl piece at the base of the windshield. It was very faided, and I had thought about painting it as some have done. I'm glad I didn't, the Griot's worked wonders.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used the Griot's top product about a year and a half ago. It looked like a brand new top after use. It still looks very good. There is no runoff or streaking at all. I used it on the cowl piece at the base of the windshield. It was very faided, and I had thought about painting it as some have done. I'm glad I didn't, the Griot's worked wonders.
That is good info right there I'll do the cowling and the smaller areas next time I wash. CA air is bad at night with the condensation and then evaporation in the mornin leaves a fine layer of soot/pollutants after just 1 day :(

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
did you use the same griots vinyl top product on the cowl also or a different griots product?

·
Registered
667 Posts
did you use the same griots vinyl top product on the cowl also or a different griots product?
Yes, I used the same stuff that's for the top. I think it did a very good job. I did it about 6 months ago on the cowl, and it still looks great. My car is parked outside 24/7.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The Griot's product in question is a one time treatment dye. It's held up on my car for the last three years. The Griot's vinyl protector is in a similar category as the 303 and it is intended to be used regularly.
In my opinion after having used both I like the Griot's .
Longevity, I'm sold on giving it a shot now. Definitely worth it for $20. Even with 303 AP alone the car looks years younger after treating the top....and with an 11 year old top, I'm willing to drop 20 bucks and spend a few minutes here and there on it

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Does the black rub/stain your clothes/hands?
I would think it could stain your clothes and hands if you got some of the product on them while applying the product. The "handle" on the applicator has absorbed some of the stain and it has not rinsed out. I always wear gloves when I apply it, just to make sure. Once the product is dry, there is no transfer of dye anywhere. Griot's is the best product I've used on my top and I've used the 303 and also a very good vinyl treatment from ProCar Care that worked well, but nowhere near as well at the Griot's. The first time I applied the product, the foam rubber applicator seperated from the denser foam "handle." I washed both out as well as I could with water and let them dry completly I then used a spray adhesive on bot the foam applicator and the "handle" and sandwiched them together. That was about 2 years ago and it is still working fine. I probably treat my top x2 year with Griot's but that is becuse my car has been in car shows about x2 a year and I want to make sure it looks good for the judges. It probably doesn't need it. I just do it for show. :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts