MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dirty_ridin_spyder @ Mar 14 2009, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a question, I hope this isn't drifting too much but I have 2 keys and neither of them work on the glove box.... how would I go about getting a key for that?[/b]
please correct me if i'm wrong...
i believe car suppose to come with 3 keys... 2 black head (masters) and 1 greyish head (valet)

if you have master, it should open everything (and lock too)

i had this issue where my black (the master one) would NOT work on my glgove box. with enough of madness shake, i get lucky and able to lock.. THEN i'd have to do another madness shake of key in the hold to get it unlock..
it was total PITA..

i took the glove box out of the car, and took it in my room and took apart the locking unit. it took me about hour to fumble with it, but you can EASILY figure out how this key mechanism works and realize that it, the lifters (or risers, whatever the lock-smith call it) just needs to be "shaven" with a dramel a little. + WD40 and other random lubes

i'm not sure why it became that way.. may be key got old, or key hole got weird... but SLIGHT shave on the lifters definitely helped..

i donno if you have same issue, but that's what happened with mine :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
anyone know where to buy uncut keys that works with '00 spyder?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Irma Veps @ Mar 14 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have two black keys. How do I know which is the master? If the process doesn't work, can I start over with the other key or is this a one shot deal?[/b]
Put the key in the ignition and watch the red LED on the hvac panel. A master key will make the light go out instantly when you insert the key. A sub key blinks the light for about 2 or 3 flashes then goes out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blackcreek @ Mar 15 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Irma Veps @ Mar 14 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have two black keys. How do I know which is the master? If the process doesn't work, can I start over with the other key or is this a one shot deal?[/b]
Put the key in the ignition and watch the red LED on the hvac panel. A master key will make the light go out instantly when you insert the key. A sub key blinks the light for about 2 or 3 flashes then goes out.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks! I go out and try this.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
The Black key that I have ( That won't let me program any other keys ).. acts a little different.. I insert the key and the red lite will stay on for about 2 seconds.. then Turn Off..
Thats about the same time as it would thke for the lite to 'Blink Twice', but it stays on during that time..

I'm thinking it's a Slave key.. In a 'Black Wrapper'.. Thanks to whom ever programmed it @##%%$#!

Cap

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
really? no one knows where i can get uncut key? *shrug...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hyojiggy @ Mar 18 2009, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
really? no one knows where i can get uncut key? *shrug...[/b]
mr. T? Hardware store?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
found new information...

uncut toyota key.. part number : 89785-17020

OEM Catalog
Item Number 8978517020
MSRP $44.96
Price $34.62

TRANSMITTER, TRANSPO

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (buckymarino @ Mar 18 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i just realized something

if this has to do with the ecu then i am in trouble

i am in the process of a 2zz swap and will be installing a celica ecu

will i be banmeplease™™ed?[/b]
You won't have a imobilizer...

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (buckymarino @ Mar 18 2009, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

will i be banmeplease™™ed?[/b]
You will be free from the tyranny of immobilizer servitude! Any key blank will do, you will be free I say, FREE! A new and happy future of excess horsepower and immobilizer freedom awaits you.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darkday @ Mar 18 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (buckymarino @ Mar 18 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

will i be banmeplease™™™ed?[/b]
You won't have a imobilizer...
[/b][/quote]

ooo that's good to know....

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I KNOW NOBODY ASKED BUT HERE YA GO.

Reprogramming the DOOR LOCKS

A. Preparation

1. Sit in drivers seat for the following procedures.
2. Only use the ‘Master Key’ for this.
3. Open the Driver's Door only.
4. Remove the Key from the Ignition Switch.
5. A stopwatch is not necessary, but would be helpful to keep track of time. Set it for 40 seconds.

Note: All of the following procedures in sections B and C must be completed within 40 seconds.

B. Programming Procedure.

0. If you have a stopwatch to keep track of time, start it.
1. Insert the Key into, and remove the Key from the Ignition Switch 2 times.
2. Close, then open the Driver's Door 2 times.
3. Insert the Key into, and remove the Key from the Ignition Switch 1 time.
4. Close, then open the Driver's Door 2 times.
5. Insert the Key into the Ignition and leave it in.
6. Close the Driver's Door.
7. Turn the Key from 'Lock' to 'On' 4 times (ending at 'Lock').
8. Remove the Key from the Ignition Switch.
9. The tail and sidemarker lights will flash 4 times and the peizo will chirp 4 times. The Doors will lock and unlock 4 times. If this does not happen, start over. If the chirps are heard go on to the next procedures in C. Keep track of time! By now you should be down to the last 5 seconds.

C. Selecting the Operating Mode.

1. Press and release both 'Lock '& 'Unlock' on the remote at the same time.

Choose one of the following.( 2a or 2b)
2a. (Modified setting) Press and release the 'Unlock' button once ‘For All Doors To Unlock’.
Or
2b. (Orig. Factory Setting) Press and release the 'Lock' button once ‘For Driver's Door To Unlock Only’.

3. The tail and marker lights flash 1 time and the peizo chirps 1 time.
4. The doors will lock and unlock 1 time. (If it locks twice, start over.)
5. Open the Driver's Door. The programming of your new keyless entry setting is now complete!
Would a dead battery cause the door lock system to not function correctly and need to be reprogrammed? I think this is what is wrong with mine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So, my wife lost a key and fob to my 2003. I finally picked up replacements from Ebay.

I figured I'd take the key to a "reputable" locksmith to cut it.

Key guy: I will not cut a "cheap" Ebay key. Besides, you need it programmed.

Me: I'll program it, I just want it cut.

Key guy: You can't program this key.

Me: Yes I can.

Him: You need to access the computer, you can't do that.

Me: Yes I can. Will you cut it or not.

Him: WHATEVER! I'll cut and program the one you buy from me.

Me: How much?

Him: $170.....

Me: :lol: :lol: :lol: As I walk out the door.

Walk into Lowe's. Ask if the guy will cut my key. He says sure. You know it needs programming, right? Yep, I'm all over it I tell him. He cuts my key. I ask how much? He says.... nothing, have a nice day.

I get home, program the key and fob with the directions in this thread and I am golden!

Thanks for the help... :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I just read this today and I was having a hard time figuring out why I was able to start my MR2 this morning. Background story. I basically lost my OEM toyota mr2 spyder key this weekend but I actually had a corner Key/locksmith guy make me a spare key just to open my car in case I get my OEM key locked inside. So last night I was desperate because I couldnt find my original key so I said "i know my spare key wont work but at least let me unlock the steering wheel with it". I accidentally turned the engine on and VOILA my car's running. I was all weirded out but this thread made me realize that an all metal key will do just fine if I have a 2ZZ Celica ECU. :lol: Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
200 Posts
so i found this info on How-To program your extra "new" key.

"get in the car
shut the doors
press and release the brake and gas pedal once
insert your master key into the ignition switch
press and release the gas pedal 5 times
press and release the brake pedal 6 times
remove master key
insert new key
press and release the brake and gas pedal once
wait 80 seconds
remove new key
press brake "

has any one done this before?
Yes, bought a blank from E-Bay, had it cut at a locksmith and did the procedure. Works 100%

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.