MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, first time here, would really appreciate your advice!

I have an 01 Spyder for sale, see ad for condition:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?listingId=91806780&searchSource=SEARCH_BY_URL&stkTyp=U

I've tried to be super upfront about the condition of the car and price it accordingly. Unfortunately the best intentions don't always pay off...the car has just started producing an engine knock (even though engine light has never been on and I've got regular oil changes...bad luck I guess?). I took it to Toyota and they said rod knock, this was confirmed this morning by an independent mechanic familiar with MR2s. Sadly, it looks like I will need to relist as a project car / engine swap.

My question is, how much do you think I should list it for? I am just having a hard time believing that my peppy and (so far!) reliable car that got 35mpg on the last tank is now deemed worthless.

If it is, it is, but I thought I should ask you experts here first. Any and all advice is appreciated! I'm leaving the cars.com ad up in the meantime for reference, but as soon as I have this squared away I will update with new asking price and knowledge of engine.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
... is now deemed worthless..
Your car is not worthless. I've heard guys searching for a broken spyder (planning on engine swaps etc) say that $4000 is a good price for a nice spyder with a bad engine. You can advertise it for $4500 with the knocking engine; or pay $2000 roughly to have a used engine installed and try to recoup the cost of the engine replacement.

P.S. First ask Cap Weir if it's worth installing new rod bearings, or shimming the existing bearings. (much cheaper than a replacement engine) It might allow you to get some more life from the engine, especially if a bearing has just spun and the rods aren't stretched on their way to failure. Oh yeah, don't drive the car for now!

·
Registered
782 Posts
A lot of people are looking for projects like this, the price has to be right though. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Oh thanks.. Toss me under the Bus..

Rod bearing replacement can get you more life out of the car.. a few members have done it.. If you plan on doing a bearing replacement, STOP DRIVING IT NOW.. and have it towed to a repair garage..

Bearings are $12 Each.. need four of them.. About 1 hr labor to install.. and need to do an oil change.. the problem is if the crankshaft had been hurt by running it knocking..

If it was my beast.. I'd give it a try..

Under the Bus..

Cap

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much for your advice - and for being so prompt!!

"STOP DRIVING IT NOW.."

I think I've driven it about 50-100 miles since I first noticed the noise. Cap, I really appreciate your advice regarding replacing the rod bearings, but I personally have never done any work on my car than wash, polish, and vacuum it, :) so I think I will let whoever buys it decide if that is a route they want to go.

For now I am going to relist on cars.com and put it in the private sale section here on spyderchat for $3k and see what happens!

I just want this whole saga to be over with!

Thanks again though, and if you know anyone who's interested... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.