6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4-5.1 OEM dash, OEM center consoles, OEM front door panels, and OEM kick
panels must remain in OEM positions. All components associated with
the above components are required. If a six point roll cage system is
installed the above components may be modified only as needed to
facilitate installation of the cage system, the front inner door panels may
be removed.

What is the difference between a door panel and an inner door panel?

·
Registered
960 Posts
I thought Redline became a "professional" series. I looked at their entrance list a couple months ago and there are only around 7 cars each event. Definitely not what it used to be...

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
Actually Redline is dead now. They canceled all their remaining events.

But I believe that rule means you can cut into the doors to install the side bars of a cage.

·
Registered
563 Posts
It means you can mod the door panels to clear the bars but they have to remain in place

Silversprint is correct Redline is dead for the moment.

Probably should pick up a NASA or SCCA rule book and pick a class to build for :(

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought Redline became a "professional" series. I looked at their entrance list a couple months ago and there are only around 7 cars each event. Definitely not what it used to be...
Actually Redline is dead now. They canceled all their remaining events.

But I believe that rule means you can cut into the doors to install the side bars of a cage.
It means you can mod the door panels to clear the bars but they have to remain in place

Silversprint is correct Redline is dead for the moment.

Probably should pick up a NASA or SCCA rule book and pick a class to build for :(
:(:angry:

This makes me very sad. I was under the impression SCCA was only auto-x, but I haven't looked into either SCCA or NASA, honestly. The issue came up when I started selling interior bits and pieces and someone informed me I needed to keep some of the interior to be compliant with Redline rules.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
loophole: redline is out for 2011 so there are no rules until 2012. go nuts!
Is that why you began drifting? Filling an empty hole in your life when Redline went extinct? ^_^
It's cool, I'm thinking ahead. I won't be competitive for at least another 2-3 years. If not because of lack of driving skills then because of lack of forced induction/2zz. I can't wait to see you in action at willow in September.

·
Registered
960 Posts
:(:angry:

This makes me very sad. I was under the impression SCCA was only auto-x, but I haven't looked into either SCCA or NASA, honestly. The issue came up when I started selling interior bits and pieces and someone informed me I needed to keep some of the interior to be compliant with Redline rules.
SCCA is the largest racing organization in the country....both SCCA and NASA have time trial events, both use two completely different rule books.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I say just got out there and have some fun driving around. Pick up a competitive car later on if you want to compete. The cheapest bet will probably be a race prep'd Miata, if you can find one used.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I say just got out there and have some fun driving around. Pick up a competitive car later on if you want to compete.
I second this, there is no need to "build your car to the rules" before you go out there and participate.

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
Why would you build your car to Redline anyway? There is no way a 1zz spyder would be competitive in a Time Attack like that.

NASA has probably the best Classing for the Spyder. But you get little track time with a hord or other cars on the track.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I second this, there is no need to "build your car to the rules" before you go out there and participate.
I'm not building per se. I'm trying to figure out what interior bits NOT to sell because I'll need them later.

Why would you build your car to Redline anyway? There is no way a 1zz spyder would be competitive in a Time Attack like that.

NASA has probably the best Classing for the Spyder. But you get little track time with a hord or other cars on the track.
I'm thinking down the road, 2-3 years from now. Right now the biggest issue barring me from being competitive is my lack of driving time and skill. 2-3 years should fix that and allow me to save for quality forced induction or 2zz.

NASA is more lax vs SCCA. which means if you like the old redline, NASA is where you want to be.
I was looking at the rule book for SCCA and immediately thought, 'nope.' They should call it NFACK (no fun allowed car klub). If your rule book is 500 pages long, something is wrong.

I'll check NASA out.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'm not building per se. I'm trying to figure out what interior bits NOT to sell because I'll need them later.

I'm thinking down the road, 2-3 years from now. Right now the biggest issue barring me from being competitive is my lack of driving time and skill. 2-3 years should fix that and allow me to save for quality forced induction or 2zz.

I was looking at the rule book for SCCA and immediately thought, 'nope.' They should call it NFACK (no fun allowed car klub). If your rule book is 500 pages long, something is wrong.

I'll check NASA out.
Both clubs require a racing license as well btw. If you plan on competing with a F/I 2ZZ you will be put in a class that will destroy both your ego and wallet.

·
Registered
960 Posts
SCCA does not have a class for the spyder.
There should be one. SCCA Time trial classing is sort of vague and the rules vary between regions, which is probably why NASA is more popular for TT. Sometimes SCCA regions will use classing similar to SOLO2 (autocross) or one of their wheel to wheel classes. Unlike NASA, SCCA doesn't specify a class for each vehicle, rather they make classes and vehicles fall into them.

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
you can obtain a provisional nasa license by completing the alfa club racing school. 2 day weekend event.
The Alfa club is a good bunch to run with. You should a lot of Time Trial experience before you take the race school.

I don't race because I dont' really want to screw up my car. Wheel to Wheel racing basically means you are writing off your car before you start. Sooner or later you will hit something or someone will hit you. The cost is also enormous. Just the safety equipment is thousands of dollars.

I'll continue and strive to be the HPDE champion.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been looking at the NASA time trial rules and I didn't see anything prohibiting any kind of specific weight reduction. It just appears weight reduction is measured based on how much weight is reduced in aggregate and your class is modified accordingly based on the change in points.

Is that understanding correct?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts