MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the car for the first time Tuesday an noticed how little room there was between the strut body and the chassis.

Im curious, has anyone had issues with rear camber on setups with coilovers? I know typically they run a bit fatter than spring/strut, I see most people run about 1.5* in the rear but do those of you with coilovers think there would be room to double that to say 3 or 3.5* without running into the body? I'm hoping there is a lot more adjustment than i think

Also I should say that handling isn't what I'm concerned with, I just figured this would be the best place I could ask to find an answer

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I got up to -3.1 with rear camber plates I made, no crash bolts and with larger ID springs (2.5"). This is with 15x9 +36 225/45/15. I think you'll be fine. What you will be hard pressed to find are rear camber plates themselves as no coilovers come with them standard in the rear and no one sells them AFAIK.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm yeah from my mk2 knowledge rear plates are a rarity and if you do find them they're pricey as hell

Did you make your plates because of the lack of space or was it because you wanted better control of the camber?

Also, do you run the car at 3.1 all the time or was it a one time thing? Curious If you have any photos of it at that spec

·
Registered
627 Posts
The strut body does sit very close to the body, but it's fine. I bought the megan arms just so i could get camber where I wanted it, but I honestly don't think you need it, but it wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I made my own camber plates too. I only get about -2.8 out of them, but I get all I need with the extra camber bolts. I don't have any issues with rubbing the inside of the rear strut. With the coil-overs you can get a shorter spring and the spring, spring perch, and sway bar mount are all up out of the way of the tire. Even with some really big tires in the rear you will be fine. Although I guess it might depend on which coil overs you get.

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
Coilover means spring concentric with damper. The stock struts are coilovers. Adjustable perch type coilovers you mean?

Even the largest of the common universal fit (closed and ground both ends) race springs (2.5" ID) are substantially smaller than the stock springs. That adds a lot of clearance. Depending on the bearing design for the top mounts, there can be a ton of room to move the struts in.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coilover means spring concentric with damper. The stock struts are coilovers. Adjustable perch type coilovers you mean?

Even the largest of the common universal fit (closed and ground both ends) race springs (2.5" ID) are substantially smaller than the stock springs. That adds a lot of clearance. Depending on the bearing design for the top mounts, there can be a ton of room to move the struts in.
You guys are funny ^_^ and yes concentric type, I was thinking the same thing only that they tend to get "fatter" at a lower point due to the locking collars, didnt know if this played a roll in clearance

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
You guys are funny ^_^ and yes concentric type, I was thinking the same thing only that they tend to get "fatter" at a lower point due to the locking collars, didnt know if this played a roll in clearance
No worries there, either. The springs (again, even the big 2.5" ID ones most of us are stuck running) are so much smaller than stock that the perches are also much smaller than stock. Also, the bottom of the strut doesn't move inboard much at all as a result of increasing camber settings statically.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.